What 3 words

CraigHew

Just been alerted to this (worldwide)  app by my paramedic Son.

Works by gps and it will pinpoint your location to a 3 metre square.

Each 3 metre square is designated by 3 words, which when given to the emergency services alerts them to your exact location.

Emergency services, search and rescue, some breakdown services.

Anyway, perhaps worth a look...

• Like 3

I’m a big advocate of it.  It’s a free app and has already saved lives worldwide.  It uses only 40,000 words in random combos but it’s enough to divide the globe in 57,000,000,000,000 individual 3m x 3m squares.  A real boon for emergency services, particularly rescuers when someone is lost or stranded or hurt and need help.  If you are trying to find someone in a crowd or in a strange location, it’s amazing.  Definitely not a toy or gimmick. 

Currently at loose.rewarding.bumpy 😄 

Also used extensively in place of postcodes in developing nations I believe. 

nails.using.poster

Eek, what kind of accident is headed my way? Currently at

Garages. Stretcher. Revolting

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Andy Banks - Chairman said:

Also used extensively in place of postcodes in developing nations I believe. 

Yep - I believe you can now post something to some nations just by addressing it with the three words of the square with the post box it needs to go to and the country it’s going, and it will get there.  Pretty cool. :)

• Like 1

I've played with this but feel the danger in moments of crisis with the 3 words being random, you may get it slightly wrong e.g.

'Sandwich flip-flop door mat' could be mis stated as' baguette shoe doormat# or #flip-flop sandwich door mat# etc. If the three words were a phrase, you're more likely to get them right.

There is a Share button so you don’t need to remember the words, you can just text or email it to whoever needs it. :)

4 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

There is a Share button so you don’t need to remember the words, you can just text or email it to whoever needs it. :)

I know. :praise: However computers can share data digitally and accurately without them being easily read and remembered by humans etc. Hence I'm still not fully convinced of this nice ideas use and purpose etc.

Too complicated for the average person.

I've used W3W a few times in the past and it's brilliant.

Imagine if mail order companies just needed to write 3 words on a parcel to get it there? Brilliant!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdamR said:

Too complicated for the average person.

I've used W3W a few times in the past and it's brilliant.

I wonder if there’s any intelligence in the software to ensure it doesn’t generate bloopers such as 

cut head off

dog is dead

feds at door

car is sold

etc.

If you have the app and in an emergency situation, in the middle of nowhere, then I doubt you would be worried about sharing info or possibly getting a word wrong - it could be your only hope?

Example I saw was a horse rider badly hurt in the middle of the new forest - worked a treat.

Mart.

• Like 2