South west newbie on the lookout

Philb65

Hi All

I’m Phil and I live just outside Plymouth. I’m on the lookout for a seven type car and came across this forum as Westfields have always had a good name. I’m probably looking for a built car. Looking at the economics I can’t seem to justify in my head building one myself, much as I would enjoy the build process!

I have restored an MGC in the past....and lost a fortune so once bitten......although they cost a packet now! I wish I’d kept it as it was a lovely car.

Being honest, I haven’t driven one of these before. I’ve had some cars that have been fairly nippy in the past, 350z, 370z, Cooper S, Focus ST225 and I’ve just swapped an M2 for an A6 Avant (practicality ). All great cars but lack the rawness and driving input that I’m looking for. The car will be used for weekend blasts, hopefully the odd track day (learning to drive properly) and driving to work on a summers day on Devon roads. Light and powerful with minimal driver nannies seems the way to go to me, back to basics.

I’m more than happy to take on board any advice given to me. I’m in no rush to find the right car although I’d quite like something to fettle in the winter months. I’ll only be using it in dry weather, pathetic I know!

Are there any meets in the area? Would be nice to come along and see some of the cars.

All the best.

Phil

Edited by Philb65
  • Like 1

:ww: from Essex.

I'm sure your local AO will be along shortly, getting to a meet is always a good place to start.

Take your time and avoid the rose tinted impulse buy!

:ww: from "just up the road" in sunny Somerset.

The Dorset area meets in Bridport first Thursday evening of the month. Bit of a hike for you, one gentleman attends from Dawish though!

Welcome bud! I did the fast tin tops for many years modding a big power 200sx and then had an m3...... My M3 I had to drive very fast for it to feel exciting, hide speed too well.

I went for comfy daily and a westfield. Never looked back, cheap to run and track, and fun to tinker with. 

good luck with your search

Thanks for the replies everyone so far. No rush to buy, I keep seeing cars come up on eBay but nothing is floating my boat for the price so far.

As a newbie to all this, Im trying to figure out my requirements. Are there any ‘must haves’ for these cars. The only one I can really think of is an lsd to put the power down. Also, is there a sweet spot with power or are you forever chasing more?

I’ll probably go for a car engine as I worry about bike engine durability not that I’ll be doing many miles a year. Zetec more than likely.

:ww: hi Phill welcome to the club what side of Plymouth are you based ?I'm in  Camborne Cornwall so not to far from Plymouth 

Hi and good luck with the hunt for a new Westy!

Your local AO is @Dave Licence - Devon and Somerset AO he should be able to advise on meet ups and the chance to have a look at some members cars?

Regards

Chris

6 hours ago, Philb65 said:

Hi Martin, I’m in Bere Alston near Tavistock.

Hi Phil,

I'm from Okehampton. Theres a guy on here from Tavistock too with a 2litre zetec, we met up a few weeks back and met some of the guys up in Great Torrington for lunch.

Good luck with your search. If you want to meet somewhere at some point then i'm up for that, weather dependant though as I dont have a screen or any weather gear!

:ww::westy:

1 hour ago, markat said:

Hi Phil,

I'm from Okehampton. Theres a guy on here from Tavistock too with a 2litre zetec, we met up a few weeks back and met some of the guys up in Great Torrington for lunch.

Good luck with your search. If you want to meet somewhere at some point then i'm up for that, weather dependant though as I dont have a screen or any weather gear!

:ww::westy:

Thanks, I was hoping there would be a few people local. It would be good to meet up at some point to pick your brains. Weather might be a problem this summer!

All the best Phil.

8 hours ago, Philb65 said:

Hi Martin, I’m in Bere Alston near Tavistock.

Hi Phil I’m in Tavistock so if you fancy looking at my zetec please feel free

16 minutes ago, b16gnr said:

thats him! @b16gnr Alright Wayne, hope all is good. 😃

4 minutes ago, markat said:

thats him! @b16gnr Alright Wayne, hope all is good. 😃

All good mate, shame about the weather!

2 hours ago, b16gnr said:

Hi Wayne, that’s very kind and I’ll take you up on your offer if thats ok. I’m going up to Northamptonshire this week for my daughters wedding so sometime in the following two weeks would be great if you let me know your availability. 

All the best, Phil