Lithium battery questions

Simon Waterfall Syman84

I have had to replace my alternator due to fault and draining the battery even when the car is off. So I need a new battery and lithium seems to be the best option as the price for one is the same and in some cases less than another Odyssey extreme.

Question is are the CCA on a lithium the same as a lead acid's as looking at the current battery I can get away with looks to be the smallest powerlite.

Cheers

Yeah, a cold cranking amp is a cold cranking amp, I've run tiny little things with no issues.

If you sprint / hill climb the lion battery needs to be from an MSA approved supplier 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XTR2Turbo said:

If you sprint / hill climb the lion battery needs to be from an MSA approved supplier 

Yep been looking at the powerlite ones that are approved. Just don't know if I should go for the 05 or the 09

Hi Simon

I have the Powerlite 09 an have been using its equivalent unapproved one from the same suppler for several years without any problem. The Cranking is fine and the only time I have had any issue at all was when having starting issues as they do flatten more quickly than a normal battery, just due to the lower Ah rating.

Absolutely nothing to worry about in normal use though.

And they are so light you will think its an empty case :d

Ian

• Like 1

Mine was £109 including charger

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New battery arrived today with charger delivered for £95. Just need to finish the rest of the car now :bangshead:

Come and and get out there Simon

2 hours ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

It's getting there Terry.

received_334225040602086.jpeg

looks good to me

• 2 weeks later...

Just to check...

Powerlite  PS-09 =

Capacity - 9Ah

Cold Cranking Amps - 300

ODYSSEY Extreme 25/PC680 =

Capacity: 16Ah

Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps: 520PHCA

Cold Cranking Amps: 170CCA

So the lithium has more CCA but less capacity. What does this mean in real world? 

I'm planning on using on my 1.6 turbo engine with VVT and direct injection. No heater or wipers.

57 minutes ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

So the lithium has more CCA but less capacity. What does this mean in real world? 

Ah refers to the storage capacity of a battery so 16Ah is almost twice the storage capacity.

CCA refers to the ability to start an engine in cold temperatures.  (number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts.)

it's always difficult to explain in real world terms but CCA is more important for a diesel, which takes a higher cranking load to turn over. It rates the amount of power the battery is able to supply, which diesels usually take a lot of when cranking. A bigger AH rating means you can sit longer with the car not running listening to the stereo, and longer resistance to the natural drain on the battery when not in use on your drive.

probably clear as mud....

• Thanks 1

The more meaningful aspect of Ah in our sort of usage is the number of go's you'll get to start the engine, before charging is needed. My old gel battery used to give a good solid three or four goes, before the engine turnover speed on the starter would start to fall away rapidly, and the Voltage while turning over would drop below the threshold the ecu needed to start.

In normal circumstances this was never a problem, as the engine would fire straight up. You just had little margin for error!

• Thanks 1

Isn't the fact that a lithium ion battery (of the sort that Simon is considering) has a very low storage capacity the reason why most who use them for sprinting/hillclimbs tend to have an anderson socket permanently wired in to the battery, so that a slave (external) battery rigged up with an anderson plug, or a powerpack, can be connected up when starting up in the paddock, leaving the capacity of the on board battery full to start the engine in the event of a stall or having to shut down the engine near the start line if there is an incident on track just ahead of you?

Terry can give a definitive answer to this, because I know that he has such an arrangement on his car.

Simon, I hope your upgrades include making the passenger seat slightly more accommodating for a well built passenger?!😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stephenh said:

Isn't the fact that a lithium ion battery (of the sort that Simon is considering) has a very low storage capacity the reason why most who use them for sprinting/hillclimbs tend to have an anderson socket permanently wired in to the battery, so that a slave (external) battery rigged up with an anderson plug, or a powerpack, can be connected up when starting up in the paddock, leaving the capacity of the on board battery full to start the engine in the event of a stall or having to shut down the engine near the start line if there is an incident on track just ahead of you?

Terry can give a definitive answer to this, because I know that he has such an arrangement on his car.

Simon, I hope your upgrades include making the passenger seat slightly more accommodating for a well built passenger?!😄

No. Its mainly because they tend to have low cranking amp capacities and struggle with starting high compression engines. There are slightly larger sized lithium batteries with greater number of cranking amps that dont require slave batteries for most car engines

• Like 1