Knockhill 29th April

Andrew

Knockhill, this Monday, 29th. Open pitlane, clockwise in the morning and anticlockwise in the afternoon.

Have been fancying a go at the reverse circuit for a while now, but didn't really want to commit a whole day to it, so this one's perfect.

Been watching the weather and it's now looking excellent for Monday, so I've dived in.

I've just booked on, and there are 16 places left (out of 50) so room for any even later late bookers 

https://www.knockhill.com/trackdays/car-trackday-apr-29

:sun:

Can’t make this one @Andrew but will book Cadwell as soon as I can get through to them on the blower - so used to booking online for things I forget people only answer the phone when actually at work 🤣

12 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Can’t make this one @Andrew but will book Cadwell as soon as I can get through to them on the blower - so used to booking online for things I forget people only answer the phone when actually at work 🤣

Yea, no worries Chris. I realise short notice booking doesn't suit 99.9% of the Westy community.

Billy no mates. :laugh:

Next one I'm looking at will probably be the June 9th one.

I can’t do June 9th sadly. 

BTW where do you get your slicks? Think I’ll stick some on my 13” rims for trackdays. 

9 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

BTW where do you get your slicks? Think I’ll stick some on my 13” rims for trackdays. 

There are a few sellers on Ebay.. this one for eg.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180-550-13-inch-Hankook-slicks-Track-Day-Hill-Climb/273429226016?hash=item3fa9a6e220:g:A28AAOSw07lbhAtS

I've been using Hankooks, but my pal Stoney in the red red shed had some Pirrelis fitted and said they were also good.

Yeah had a look on eBay but as a slick tyre virgin have no idea what I’m looking at in terms of cost, suitability, longevity etc 

4 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Yeah had a look on eBay but as a slick tyre virgin have no idea what I’m looking at in terms of cost, suitability, longevity etc 

That pair I linked to are the actual tyres I use in C92 compound. Although they're sized at 180 they're actually wider.. nearer 200 width. I have them on 8" rims but have used them on 7".. useable but probably not ideal. If you contact the sellers by phone you'll probably be able to blag a better deal on delivery.

9 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Chris try super slicks that’s where I had mine from, only paid £30 for 4 hankooks.

He did dangler up on the price though👍

1 minute ago, Andy (Sycho) said:

Chris try super slicks that’s where I had mine from, only paid £30 for 4 hankooks.

He did dangler up on the price though👍

Ahh yes I recall you (and I think it was Ben?) got a cheap set. You got a link?

Well, it was a glorious day up at Knockhill. :sun: 

I was up at 5am.. 3+hr drive mostly through fog on the way up.. burnt off a tankful plus 40 litres of fuel, then a 3+ hr drive home = I am pooped! :zzz:

P1140556.thumb.JPG.f858afc954e85890ea80dfd158ace397.JPG

The paddock was rammed full! :laugh:

Billy without a buddy..

A bit more blurb.. 

At the briefing I counted 16 people, so it was obvious it wasn't going to be too busy on track! No idea why.. I'm hoping it wasn't the split format, clockwise in the morning and reverse in the afternoon puuting people off, as I really rated it. Hoping they'll do some more.

I love the way they do things at KH. No noise testing, and no sighting laps. Out of the briefing and onto the track. :yes:

First session on track didn't go well however. I was bumbling round warming things up, perhaps only done 3 or 4 laps when they chucked out the black flag for me. :down:  I couldn't see anything obvious.. all gauges looked OK.. and then I caught a puff of smoke in my mirror. :down: Pulled off line and coasted back into the pitlane fearing .. I don't know what!  By the time I got into the pitlane there was a serious amount of smoke coming from under the bonnet.. removed bonnet, and there was oil all over the place! :down:

Part of my prep for the day was setting the valve clearances, they hadn't been touched for ages! I've never had much success getting the OE cork type cam cover gaskets to seal, so invested in an expensive (£15!) rubber gasket from Burtons. It would appear the rubber gasket needs tightening down a lot more than the OE one. Much twirling of an allen key and all was sealed again. Did a couple of laps and came in to check.. all tickety boo! :yes:

The morning seemed to disappear quickly, nothing much to report, other than loads of clear track, and I managed to drop my PB into the 57s. Well chuffed with that, as I thought I was starting to slow up as the age crept higher! 

The afternoon was on the reverse circuit. At first it felt really really weird! I don't for one minute think I got properly to grips with it, but I did enjoy it immensely. I'd say it's a lot more technical than the clockwise layout. There are a good number of blind apexes, and as you enter the start straight at a higher speed, combined with more of it being downhill, the result it barrelling down towards the hairpin at a higher rate of knots! Don't think it helps either, that there's a large bump in the braking area. I don't think I got the hang of "Clark" corner at all. Braking has to be done rounding the right hand curve, before turning left. 

Weather was dry all day. Cool in the morning, but clear skies and tee shirt weather in the afternoon. Only took a few paddock pics, but will try and gets a couple of vids up this evening. 

I ran out of fuel at about 4-30, so chucked the car on the trailer and tried to miss some traffic on the Edinburgh bypass. Failed! :laugh:

:sun:

P1140573.thumb.JPG.e89657b0439caa7233b460f11c03a827.JPG

• Like 2

A couple of vids from my lonely day. :)

First one from the morning, last one before lunch break. Some clear lappery, and finally dropped the Pintosaurus into the 57s. :cool:

And the last session from the afternoon. I'd actually left the pitlane behind the Atom, but he took off like a scalded cat! I like to do at least a lap to get stuff up to temperature. Anyway he was a good target. ;)  I started to slowly reel him back in, but when I caught him he pulled into the pits. :down: Most people agree the reverse lap should be quicker than the normal one, so I reckon there must be room for improvement.

Get a load of the sunshine! :cool:

• Like 3

Looks like you had a good day @Andrew

Its a track I would like to do some time but it’s a long way from me

Maybe one day I will get a trailer