Exhaust extraction tube for garage

CraigHew

Just wondered if anyone has sourced / used / seen some corregated tubing that could be used to get exhaust gasses out of the garage whilst warming up the car.

Currently the S2000 is sorned but I do like to warm it up every two weeks or so over the winter.  That means pushing it out of the garage for 20 mind or so, which if I didn't have to first move a couple of cars around the drive to create space, would be an easy enough task.

We've currently got family staying so we have two extra cars on the drive meaning that I can't free up any space today.

So my thoughts turned to a low cost, low tech solution.  I think it needs to be metal due to the heat and if it were flexible I could rig it up through the garage rafters and exit through an existing vent.

Any ideas?

I'd suggest it doesn't do the engine any good warming up with no load. Better to leave it alone and just keep the battery charged. Pump your tyres up to 50 psi.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Spoilsport.

However, I will look into that.

Since my first days of ownership I've let the car idle up to temperature before moving off the drive.

I think that comes from my Ducati biking days, when a warm up at idle was strongly recommended.

The instructions for the civic type r is to start engine and set off not to leave it idling. Would imagine the s2000 is the same.

Tony

• Like 1

As Ian said, long term, it dos more harm than good, allowing both condensation and nasty chemical byproducts to form inside the engine.

If you do start it, “really” it should be taken on a proper run to get fully up to temperature and run under load for a little while.

Otherwise, there are better ways of long term storage for engines etc. Though a few months over winter, at least in most of the UK, doesn’t really count as long term storage.

Plus every cold start can be that little extra bit of wear and tear...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wizzer said:

The instructions for the civic type r is to start engine and set off not to leave it idling. Would imagine the s2000 is the same.

Tony

Most likely, it’s usually part of the advice for many if not most engines. Mind you, in part, these days, it’s also an emissions thing, too.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Most likely, it’s usually part of the advice for many if not most engines. Mind you, in part, these days, it’s also an emissions thing, too.

Luckily I Iive next to an A road , so I leave the house on a grumpy cold engine and get up to 50 to 60 mph reasonably soon , so get off the cold start as quickly as possible. I did run mine up in the drive the other day as checking it did fire after the battery optimiser issues. Which I left for 20 mins, but found that the oil cap showed a splodge of white for moisture not quite cleared in the engine and I hope to get out in the car in the holiday break , so that will definately get to temp and clear the moisture when I get the time. I normally only run the car if I am going out for a drive for that reason. 

Also waiting on the new optimiser so I dont have to worry about times of not running . Should be here on Friday with any luck.

• Like 1

My local garage has lots of interesting stuff in including a DB6. The owner had been warming it through every month or so - choke out, rev it a bit, get it up to temperature and switch off. Result was a very sooty head and a big bill for the 'de-coke'. Remember them?? 

• Like 1

As I think it was @Stu Faulkner found, S2000’s in particular can be prone to knackering their spark plugs with a lot of cold starts with no really running afterwards. But other engines can suffer as well...

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

As I think it was @Stu Faulkner found, S2000’s in particular can be prone to knackering their spark plugs with a lot of cold starts with no really running afterwards. But other engines can suffer as well...

Probably down to cold start mapping Dave. Mines grumpier than me on a cold start and revs drop out at a touch of the throttle until its run for at least a minute

Just been for my winter warm up for the car and did 25 miles or so and with my new jacket from Ms TJ for Xmas , I was lovely and toastie although its like being in a continental quilt, so you cant move much :d

1 hour ago, Thrustyjust said:

ust been for my winter warm up for the car and did 25 miles or so and with my new jacket from Ms TJ for Xmas , I was lovely and toastie although its like being in a continental quilt, so you cant move much :d

Nothing to do with to many mince pies then ??????

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

Nothing to do with to many mince pies then ??????

Whatever :d I can fit in mine, I can turn the key and I can go for a drive ............................. so there :popcorn:

• Haha 1

As for extracting gasses from garage I have fitted a bathroom extractor fan the the front wall above the door. If needed I can connect aluminuim flexible ducting and move it to the exhaust location 10m of ducting costs about £20-£25 plus the cost of whichever fan you need. £10 up tpo £100 plus depending on manufacturer, noise levels etc. This is wired into a plug that can be used as required, although you could just wire it into the garage light, as you would with your bathroom.

It generally helps remove all sorts of smells from the garage, such as if you ever use spray paint/ grinding/ cleaning/ spilt fuel / oil etc etc.

Lee

• Like 4