Westfield Carbon Exhaust

Weekend Warrior

Thinking of buying aWestfield carbon exhaust in the Black Friday sale ,and was wondering if it’s a straight swap for my aluminium silencer .?

Do I need a fitting kit or not if I already have an exhaust on the car ? I take it the bracket to mount it is already on the carbon exhaust.

It’s on the passenger side that’s right hand fitment yes .

thanks 

steve

image.jpg

image.jpg

Always had the silencers as a kit, so I don’t know if the bit that fits directly to the silencer is part of the fitting kit, or comes with the silencer itself.

The right hand and left hand sides of the car, if no other information is given, by convention, are the right and left as viewed from sat in the drivers seat. So passenger is left or near side, and drivers right, or off side.

Cant see for sure on that photo on my iPad, but the black metal bracket does look the same as for the carbon can kit. It also uses the rectangular Borsal supplied mounting bush. So if you have those already, you do just need the mount that npbolts to the can. (Though I’d replace the rubber Bush anyway, as they can fail over time.)

50 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Always had the silencers as a kit, so I don’t know if the bit that fits directly to the silencer is part of the fitting kit, or comes with the silencer itself.

The right hand and left hand sides of the car, if no other information is given, by convention, are the right and left as viewed from sat in the drivers seat. So passenger is left or near side, and drivers right, or off side.

Cant see for sure on that photo on my iPad, but the black metal bracket does look the same as for the carbon can kit. It also uses the rectangular Borsal supplied mounting bush. So if you have those already, you do just need the mount that npbolts to the can. (Though I’d replace the rubber Bush anyway, as they can fail over time.)

Thanks for the reply Dave here’s a closer shot of the mount ,the rubber looks fine ,The mount that bolts to the can that you refer to is in this picture or will I have to buy a mounting kit to get it .

image.jpg

No, the mount that bolts to the carbon and stainless Westfield cans is the equivalent of the tab that's welded on to the silencer in your photo.

You can see the bit I mean in the photo below, it screws straight to the end of the silencer, using the same dome head Allen bits that hold the silencers end cap on. It then sits underneath of the rubber bush, at a downward angle, which in turns sits under of a black finished steel bracket that looks very similar to what you already have.

IMG_0550.JPG

As the mount is welded stainless, IIRC, shaped to fit the silencer, and handed left or right, I'm 80% certain they come with the silencer. But probably only Westfield can tell you for sure if that's still the case.

(Though I have to say, the one in the photo above looks fitted a little tight to the tub for my liking!)

• Thanks 1

WW.

In my efforts to reduce weight cheaply  I could be interested in your ally exhaust if you go ahead with your plan. Let me know.

11 hours ago, hammie said:

WW.

In my efforts to reduce weight cheaply  I could be interested in your ally exhaust if you go ahead with your plan. Let me know.

I’ll bear your in mind .

Right just been on Westfield site the 2 options are silencer only or silencer, link pipe, and fitting kit

the fitting kit has 2 x clamps, a rubber mount , bolt tube and bracket for the car AND the bracket that bolts to the silencer

you could always call them and explain that you only require the silencer and the bracket and see if they can accommodate you

hth 

• Thanks 1

I would make up the spacer tube to get the bolt out of the chassis and bodywork as usual it is and then make a strong 'L' shaped piece that goes under the tail pipe . Then get an M6 or M8 stud tigg'd under the silencer and use a female to female large bobbin between them. Then its supporting the weight rather than the factory one stressing the mount as pulling the mount apart. If that makes any sense !

On 25/11/2018 at 21:17, Thrustyjust said:

I would make up the spacer tube to get the bolt out of the chassis and bodywork as usual it is and then make a strong 'L' shaped piece that goes under the tail pipe . Then get an M6 or M8 stud tigg'd under the silencer and use a female to female large bobbin between them. Then its supporting the weight rather than the factory one stressing the mount as pulling the mount apart. If that makes any sense !

I think I know what you mean , is there enough stainless underneath to tig  a bolt onto . 

The Bracket on its own can be bought separate for £35 . 

Dont suppose you could post a sketch of your idea , They have a silencer in stock so when it gets here I’m going to offer it up and see what’s what . 

Is this what your thinking 

Thanks 

Steve 

image.jpg

Your not far off of what I was thinking The bolt under the silencer will have a gap to house the rubber bobbin, like an engine mount I would either make a half moon stainless plate that welds to the underside of exhaust tail pipe with the bolt ( or nut ) incorporated with it.

• Like 1

Wel my exhaust came yesterday ,so I sneaked off to the garage to offer it up to the car .Being of a non mechanical background I assumed it would be a straight swap :bangshead:

Unfortunately it’s shorter than my current silencer and I can’t see it working with my current set up ,so what can I do ?  Can I extend the current pipe to the manifold if so can this be done on the car as there I’d no join where the 4 go into one .

i suppose I could stick with what I’ve got and sell the silencer on  Or I could get a new stainless manifold and pipe made up in stainless (anyone know of any places ie Notts Leicester ,-Pboro) I could sell the Dunnell manifold and silencer to offset any cost .Any idea what a manifold and pipe would cost ballpark?

I may be missing another option what do those of you in the know think.

Steve

1B26BBE1-948C-4E69-B6DF-5483E87EDB25.jpeg

6DE26A51-E85F-4642-AE83-6E85424D81EC.jpeg

B08AB79E-C196-4E8D-A5D0-64BEA7D126B0.jpeg

CDE9D9F5-0EAB-427A-B38E-2D9E33B24536.jpeg

085D0857-64AB-490C-84CB-0F00E80917FA.jpeg

3E420D76-50AD-4C2A-8DB1-BE0A0A1AD60F.jpeg

8E67E63E-CC0D-4C4E-B0C7-90551DD52D84.jpeg