Winter wear

Alan Gale

Can anybody suggest the best winter  Parker/Anorak for driving in?

The days are getting a bit chilly, I need to invest in new coat. Must be waterproof!

Thanks

A

Welcome to the forum.

I see from your location that "chilly" for you could have a different meaning. Let's hope you get some good ideas from people further north than me.  

I use waterproof+windproof snowboarding gear over my normal clothes.  Layers is the key to keeping warm though.  Motorcycle gloves are also good, but very stiff.

Given the location, heated motorbike wear might even be worth a try!

Layers are good. Thick layers just stop movement. Have a look at any thermal layers and a windproof jacket on the top. I find ears freeze and shoulders. Hats I am still working on but a Cossacks style hat you look a nobber but the ears are warmer. 

My missus swears by her heated gilet when on the back of our bike - if your core is warm, then there is a better chance your extremities will be. With the single lithium battery pack she gets about 5 hrs out of it on medium setting.

https://www.blazewear.com/our-gear/gilets

After seeing @Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO 's softshell jacket and troo, we found some water resistant softshell jackets with fur-seal lining and wear them alot in the Westie, along with softshell trousers for the winter. Our heater is toasty too, but there is another recent thread covering hoods and heaters.

• Like 1

As long as you wear wind/waterproof leggings and jacket,. You can wear anything underneath that you feel comfortable with.  Just make sure the sealing around cuffs and neck work well.

Goretex and sailing clothing is particularly good at keeping wind and water out.

Thermal underwear, jeans and if it's raining unlined waterproof trousers.

Thermal vest, decent polo shirt, fleece jumper/sweatshirt with a high neck and a windproof/waterproof shell, maybe thin nylon lined shell for the upper body. I find my old Sparco race gloves keep my hands warm enough and when I forget them or I know it's going to rain I wear my Mechanix gloves. I would avoid motorcycle gloves and skiing gloves. Too bulky and not enough feel.

For the ears I find a decent thinsulate lined beanie works well enough, and remember to wear your earplugs.

I've been using Damart thermals for years both on the bike and in the car and Amazon has a good selection of all the above clothes.

For me though, I think of it like this. If I'm going out and we're going to have "weather" I expect to get cold and wet. Once that fact is accepted life is easier.

• Like 2

Wind is the killer, so as said a windproof a must.

I have a range of softshells, from thin fitted summer weight to larger thicker with space for more layers under.

Then waterproofs over top if wet.

I always have an extra thermal layer with me in case I need it too.