Recent snap of your Westfield

SXRORY

11 hours ago, Euan Hoosearmy said:

Christmas presents...first a Westfield gear knob and SBfor7s tunnel tidy. Chrome was peeling off the original knob (non-Westfield) so it needed changing before I got cut... and I know the carpet needs replacing... it's on the ever lengthening list.20231228_223332.jpg.d1caf27c9280b6a7a2b36281923209e3.jpg

Secondly more of a portrait than a snap. My wife commissioned this for me. The E36 is my other money pit. The Capri isn't mine but does live here....

20231228_214830.thumb.jpg.4d58c756b4b9cb2bb8a021ede6f51a2d.jpg

I hope you're gearknob stays on better than mine, it's constantly working loose, I have to tighten the grub screws every other trip. Mine has 3 screws which sit into 3 holes on the shaft but just never stay tight. I even tried threadlock to no avail. The screws have points on, I was thinking of grinding them off flat and see if that helps - more contact area on the ends which hopefully would reach the bottom of the holes. Someone else suggested wrapping tape around the shaft which may help the screws grip? Anyone else had this issue? 

I had it and cured it completely with new grubscrews. Can't recall if I bought ones with a different head though (and I'm not taking it off to look 😜). But you can buy flat headed and cup headed ones 

• Thanks 1

Yep, had the issue on my old car. fixed initially by wrapping the end of the lec=ver with (insulating) tape, later replaced with a bit of heat shrink. Ultimately sorted out by changing the grub screws and using a little screw lock.

The typical problem is the Ford and better quality after market levers have a hardened surface, so the pointy style grub screws can't dig in and grip.

• Thanks 1

On 29/12/2023 at 12:18, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

Yep, had the issue on my old car. fixed initially by wrapping the end of the lec=ver with (insulating) tape, later replaced with a bit of heat shrink. Ultimately sorted out by changing the grub screws and using a little screw lock.

The typical problem is the Ford and better quality after market levers have a hardened surface, so the pointy style grub screws can't dig in and grip.

Yeah mine is a type 9 and the gear stick lever is definitely hardened, I'm guessing that's why a previous owner drilled the 3 holes in it for the grubscrews. I will go belt and braces, get new flat ended screws and also wrap the stick with insulation tape or maybe self amalgamating rubberised tape. Can but try. Thanks for the advice guys, very much appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me or do those scissor doors not open to the same angle? It's making my OCD twitch. 

• Haha 2

That looks suspiciously like Simon George's Murci. The one written up in Evo Magazine from time to time, and has done about 300,000 miles of track work in the hands of countless pay-by-the-lap punters. It's earnt him good money in that time (though has also cost a bit to maintain, obviously!).  

46 minutes ago, Ewan said:

That looks suspiciously like Simon George's Murci. The one written up in Evo Magazine from time to time, and has done about 300,000 miles of track work in the hands of countless pay-by-the-lap punters. It's earnt him good money in that time (though has also cost a bit to maintain, obviously!).  

It is.