Fuel cut-off

BugMan

Just been talking to Ian at WF on the fuel cut-off switch, that I had decided NOT to fit as I wondered if this needed the connectors shoring together (had forgotten it had a loop-back plug on already)?, and Ian said it was a requirement for the IVA due to it being a pressurized fuel system for Injection engines.  

Now fortunately I still have room to fit my switch, it's just a question of the cables/plugs on the Wf loom 

IMG_2381.JPG

Just wondering if anybody else has seen this?

Any advice gratefully accepted?

not quite sure what your asking, but this is where I fitted mine

Given that all fuel injection engines are pressurised and how many people here have gone through IVA without one, my instinctive reaction was that that's total nonsense.

I then checked the IVA manual and I can find no such requirement - my secondary response was the same.

That WAS my very first assessment, as we had a thread running on this B4, and I think it was suggested that a modern ECU had that built in.

not my call but surely can't hurt to fit it for IVA then remove and loop on the way home...?

Never had one on either car, SVA/IVA inspectors never wanted one either time. Both cars injection.

IVA inspectors are very helpful. I suggest you ring the centre you’re booked in with, (when you’ve booked, if you haven’t already) and ask. From my experience, there’s so few inspectors now, you will probably get the answer from the guy that will do the test, and at the same time get brownie points in the bank for thinking properly about what is required to build a compliant car.

I never bothered either and wasn't asked about it. As above either fit and remove after the iva as they can cause issues as not really designed for such lightweight agile cars or contact the test centre if you can find the direct number. Or if your local nip in for a chat.

If you told them the ecu does it how would they know otherwise?

You ring the main IVA national contact number normally, then they route you to your centre, though if you’re lucky enough to get a direct number, fantastic!

You dont need one. Mine wasnt asked for and the ecu should switch off if the car doesnt start after a period of time or if it stops in an impact. 

i'll take the advice and ring up, as it will be on my eventual to-do list in the future and i like the idea of getting on peoples good books.

Does anybody have the number to hans, save me a "Google"

Didn't fit it on mine, never even mentioned at IVA. No mention of it i could find in the IVA manual.

This is the number I had to ring to make my appointment tel:0300 123 9000. From memory it's a central number, might be a good starter for ten.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so been in touch with the IVA people via the web/eMail and just had this back today from this nice chap Tony Selwood

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Afternoon Steve,

There is no requirement to fit a fuel cut-off inertia switch for the IVA test, that is not to say you can’t fit one but anything fitted on the vehicle would be assessed as part of the IVA test.

Kind regards

Tony Selwood   Approvals Technical Engineer
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN 
Office: 0300 123 9000 | F : 01792 454214 | E : approvals.technical@dvsa.gov.uk

Any advice provided in this communication is the view of DVSA and is not intended to be an interpretation of the law; only a court of law is able to give a legal, definitive interpretation.

image.png.2fab217e95b9e9ca8db82c35305f6ed5.png

Incorporating the Driving Standards Agency and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency. 
Find out more about government services at 
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-standards-agency

------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks 2