Sport 250 Fuse and AIM Expansion

BugMan

OK team, a bit more advice please.

I'm sitting in the garage with a nice cup of tea, and Jam Steam Sponge pudding looking at how I'm going to mount the fuse boxes and AIM Dash expansion.

IMG_2069.JPG

I going to follow AdgeC's brill idea and mount them on the cross rail just above the drivers feet, but taking his advice on the front of the rail, further away form the scuttle back-line.

image.thumb.jpeg.621e8fd4f82e2ec55d795b58215217cd.jpeg

The bit of aluminium sheet  I have is not quite as tall as AdgeC's so I'm thinking I can mount the expansion unit on other side of the steering shaft, but could mount horizontal or vertical.

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2068.JPG

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

IMG_2067.JPG

Don't forget you will need to plug speed and oil press. Cabling into the expansion unit, need to make sure they won't get caught by your feet!

Looking at your photo of the OBD and CEL set up, be useful to make sure the wiring doesn't foul on the scuttle with it running over the top of the chassis member/accelerator housing.

You might want to consider where to mount the Aim dash lap top connection socket as well?

Where ever you fit it, Make a note of the expansion unit serial no. before  mounting it. You need this to set the Aim dash up on a laptop!

Personally I would hang fire until you're connecting the dash up (without the scuttle fitted), you can then see the total of the wiring, and where some runs naturally sit. Took me a number of iterations to try and tie everything back, sort of neatly, clearing the scuttle and allowing the dash panel enough movement to be able to access the back of it for future maintenance.

image.thumb.jpeg.0dd4b7a498b96e111ff214a620a38f93.jpeg

8 minutes ago, AdgeC said:

Don't forget you will need to plug speed and oil press. Cabling into the expansion unit, need to make sure they won't get caught by your feet!

Not got an expansion unit, so may be different, but on mine Speed is straight into the dash and oil pressure is via CAN from ECU..

10 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Not got an expansion unit, so may be different, but on mine Speed is straight into the dash and oil pressure is via CAN from ECU..

Not having a clue about these things, just followed Mr Walkers advice on what to connect where.

Oil press is from a standalone sensor rather than from the ecu as the ecoboost doesn't have an oil pressure sensor. It uses a computed figure. 

As Adge says keep the laptop connector port handy and I would make sure the check engine light and obd port and the fuses  are visible and accessible. The rest kind of doesn't matter as long as it's up out of the way and neat ish. 

Please don't think I dreamt up the fuse position idea. Just blatantly copied what some of the clever S2000 builders have done

16 hours ago, BugMan said:

I going to follow AdgeC's brill idea and mount them on the cross rail just above the drivers feet, but taking his advice on the front of the rail, further away form the scuttle back-line.

Please don't think I'm clever enough to dream up the fuse location idea. I just copied what some of the clever S2000 builders have done!

• Like 1

I'm not saying I was the first to ever do it, but IIRC, I was the one annoyed by the standard S2000 location and showed them being relocated in my build thread, a number of years ago. Since then, quite a few variations have become popular!!

16 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

Oil press is from a standalone sensor rather than from the ecu as the ecoboost doesn't have an oil pressure sensor. It uses a computed figure. 

Ah of course, I remember this now about these new fangled boosty cars :d