Snake Pass, Peak District, Sun 5th Nov

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Meet at Artist Corner Car Park, Matlock, DE4 3PS, at 10am. There are toilets there but no refreshments, so we will go to Chatsworth Farm Shop Cafe, for a brew with a view. After that we will make our way up the lovely Snake Pass and have lunch at The Snake Inn.

Anyone joining us?

• Like 1

Should be ok for me.. Good weather booked?

• Like 1

Brilliant! I have cancelled the consignment of cow poo and booked the sunshine :t-up:

3 hours ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

Brilliant! I have cancelled the consignment of cow poo and booked the sunshine :t-up:

The odds are on you finding some more to drive through though :p

We will be there with cow poo repellent at the ready :)

• Haha 1

How strange, could have sworn I’d post3d in this thread earlier in the week. Should be there too!

• Like 1

:t-up: Good man, Dave, I need an accomplice for the ice cream bit at the end. My route will finish at Tagg Lane Dairy, again, oops how did that happen! Not that I have been thinking about it much, but I will be having the Bakewell Pudding flavour ice cream, I spied it last week :t-up:

• Like 1

Mmm, Snickers flavours ice cream, with what tasted quite like chunks of actual snickers bar in it!

Well, it was absolutely pouring leaving home at 8.30 this morning, and with just a little occasional light rain in the air a few times on the way home, I needed wipers, but didn’t have to stop to put the hood up. But the five or six hours in between were dry, and often sunny. Your weather booking came through in the end :d

Another great Sunday in the Peak District. We even gained @IanK (Bagpuss) half way round, along with a nice couple who’d just picked up their new GBS Seven earlier in the week. (One that I’d been admiring the colour of at the recent GBS open day.)

• Like 2

I thought that I was the luckiest girl in the land today, with the autumn sun bouncing off the burnt orange leaves, as I could hear Dave's engine powering behind me, but Sue beat me to it. Martyn arrived in Matlock Bath and could not resist the wet, slippy tarmac....donut time!!! Sue was giggling away as she went round and round.

Matlock Bath, Trevor, Dave, Martyn and Sue met us.

DSC02179.JPG

We drove past Chatsworth house, the deer in the parkland and arrived at Chatsworth Farm Shop Cafe, with it's spectacular views over Edensor Church

DSC02187.JPG

Chatsworth Cafe Car Park

DSC02182.JPG

DSC02184.JPG

We travelled right through the middle of the Peak District, getting an exciting clear run up the Curbar Gap, until we found the horses, over Surprise View and up the Snake Pass. The views are fabulous at this time of year, because the shadows exaggerate the 3D effect of the hills.

We arrived at The Snake Inn

DSC02188.JPG

Martyn was getting some good photo's

DSC02192.JPG

4 cars were soon to become 6

DSC02194.JPG

As we ate our lunch the landlady announced that another car had arrived, then shortly after she announced that a pink one was now here, that could only be Bagpuss :t-up:

DSC02198.JPG

Now we were a 6 car convoy, Bagpuss, in good working order hooray, and the brand new factory built GBS Zero came with us too. Not before we had a photo shoot in front of the pub.

DSC02199.JPG

DSC02203.JPG

We got a second run at The Snake Pass and found some other great roads with not a single car on them AND NO COW POO, to fetch us out at Tagg Lane Dairy

DSC02204.JPG

With a bowed head, Trevor begged not to be thrown into the hedge bottom by Glen

DSC02206.JPG

Dave and Ian were trying to find the cuddly toy Bagpuss

DSC02207.JPG

Trevor, Dave and Ian - otherwise known as the Westfield Running Club - did the panorama photo dance in order to build an appetite up for the cake and ice cream that was to follow next

DSC02210.JPG

We all went our separate ways from here, our journey home was in a pink/orange sunlight, freezing, but pretty. Thank you to everyone for making today fantastically exciting, it's been great and the Bakewell Pudding Ice Cream wasn't bad either!

Next week it's the snickers ice cream for sure xxx

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Looks and sounds a great day was had :sun:

Not jealous in the slightest,no really,not one bit.....:down:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep, another fantastic day, and for much of it, relatively mild and wintery sunny. Mind you soon started getting chilly as the Sun got lower around 4pm.

• Like 2

Thanks again for another great day out.  Just..only just managed the trip on 1 tank of fuel.

I also managed a snooze even after all the coffees

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

b*******!!!!

Golf called today... and a win of 8 quid!!

Westie was cleaned down after the pooooh run last weekend and would have loved to join you for the Snake run. Pleased you lot had a great day. Any more cake/lunch runs planned over the next few weeks?

PS. Thanks Miss Joules for last weekend (I think). Vaporised cow poooh is a must for any Westie. 

I have noticed that most Peak Westies do have mudflaps fitted to the front arches. I do wonder why?????????

@Chris Emm when you ask 'are there any more runs planned ?' well, it's easier to tell you when there aren't. The weekend of the 18th/19th November is out because of a WSCC committee meeting, other than that we will be off somewhere. It will always be a Saturday or a Sunday, and the weather determines which day.

There is the Santa run on 3rd December and it is the GBS, Ollerton open day on 16th December, but there will be plenty of miles done before then.

It's breakfast at Grindleford Train Station next weekend, not to be missed, it has an excellent reputation and is very popular with outdoorsy folk. Then we are going for the Elton Esses, a fun piece of road. Sunday is the preferred day, depending on the weather though.

Hope to see you soon.

Sorry to take the shine off a great day! Has anyone else who dined at lunch time been ill ? I had the pate for lunch and woke in the early hours of Sunday with a temperature and stomach cramps. I travelled to Germany later in the days and have been unwell all week and have only had 3 meals since Sun. I got home last night and have seen a doctor today. He suspects food poisoning.  I’m feeling a little better now and have only seen my last two meals on the way in so far :( No one else at Home has been ill, luckily. 

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear that, Ian. Glen and I have not been ill at all. You were the only person to eat pate, so if it was that we would not be able to tell. What an impact though, just glad you are starting to feel a bit better after all this time.