Sport 250 Questions

BugMan

Sport 250 Questions

I’d in the planning stages for a Sport 250 build, and one of the first hurdles is the Option List.

I’d like to ask any of the Sport 250 builders what options they had chosen from the list?

I’m not really interested in track days at the moment, it’s more of the “I built that” and the pride, and if I’m honest the self-satisfaction of having a new “Man Cave” project to keep me sane.  I however would rather take sensible options at the start, rather than “Wish I’d bought that” at a later date.

Main use would be fun runs, and weekend once built, plus the odd drive to work to “Show Off” a bit and put the fancy sales people in their place at my office.

I’ve got some ideas of my own, however I’d take advice.

So would want the heater, hood and stuff that would keep me and the car dry if it rains (I live in Yorkshire, so that does occasionally happen) but plan to do the work myself, as I don’t see the logic of buying a kit and having the factory do the riveting for example.

sport-250-options-list-2017.pdf

sport-250-options-list-2017.jpg

Bring the option list along on Sunday, and we'll spend some money for you. 

Good to see another 250'er:t-up:

Firstly wow, you can soon stack up the cost with that options list! 

From my limited experience with the car. It's bl**** quick, therefore I'd say get the best brakes you can afford. An LSD I would suggest is a good idea. Wheels and tyres wise. I'd say that the toyo T1R isn't a very good tyre for these types of car. The R888r are good but maybe for road pootling then the toyo R1R maybe a good choice but you may have to sort yourself as they aren't on the list.

The rest is really personal choice. Powder coated panels look nice. The sport turbo seats look nice but try for fit first. I'd assumed it came with the Aim digi dash as standard but obviously not, but again you may prefer classic dial guages. 

OkDoky Robin, already have a few copies printer out ready to chew over with my bacon butty on Sunday with the crew

Have been following your build  sdh2903 and was thinking along the same lines, LSD, better breaking powder coated frame, your a bit of an inspiration and I've picked up some good pointers:d 

I went with, upgraded brakes, lsd, wide track, sport turbo seats, hood & Sidescreens, heater (mandatory IVA requirement if no heated screen plus mandatory from my financial controller!), powder coated chassis and panels & Aim dash (mandatory "option!), 8" rear wheels & 205 T1R tyres. That's it if I remember rightly.

I'll get it on the road, then once I've got some running in miles under my belt, will be reviewing tyre choice in view of comments from my learned friends on this forum!

Decided to do everything myself, so starting with bare chassis, building progressing from there! My thought was It will good to be able to say "I built that" when it's finished!

Contour dash is a definite no, glovebox is full of electrical gubbins!

Have fun choosing.

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of build but from a starter kit and buying parts as I go along (not all from Westfield) so a bit of a different process. Like yours though, mine is intended more for road than track. Echoing some of the above suggestions and given the power of the car, I'd prioritise:

* Big brakes (the bigger the better)

* Wide track front suspension

* Four point harnesses

* LSD

I don't think anti-roll bars are necessary for a road-focused car (but some would disagree!).

As Steve recommended already, I have Toyo R1R tyres, a bit less aggressive than the R888Rs but stickier than the T1Rs.

I didn't powder coat my chassis panels as they'll all be covered by trim eventually.

I'll be fitting an MSA roll bar as the standard bar doesn't do much structurally if you were to have a serious accident. Full cage not needed and not very compatible with weather gear.

As Adge said heater unit can be omitted if you use a heated windscreen for demist requirements but you may want the heater for leg warming! Also be aware there are different sized windscreens, if you're tall you may want to ask WF about that.

And finally seats, I'm a big fan of the Sport Turbo seats; it might depend on which bodywork you're using - are you thinking ZK or FW? Classic or modern look?

5 hours ago, AdgeC said:

I went with, upgraded brakes, lsd, wide track, sport turbo seats, hood & Sidescreens, heater (mandatory IVA requirement if no heated screen plus mandatory from my financial controller!), powder coated chassis and panels & Aim dash (mandatory "option!), 8" rear wheels & 205 T1R tyres. That's it if I remember rightly.

I'll get it on the road, then once I've got some running in miles under my belt, will be reviewing tyre choice in view of comments from my learned friends on this forum!

Decided to do everything myself, so starting with bare chassis, building progressing from there! My thought was It will good to be able to say "I built that" when it's finished!

Contour dash is a definite no, glovebox is full of electrical gubbins!

Have fun choosing.

so where do you put your lunch AdgeC, lol?

Great list and sort of on target for my selection, again with the EXACT same concern for the 2nd seat.

I don't think you have much choice regarding the heater. When i ordered mine there was no heated screen available in the taller sport turbo screen size. Although the factory demo car does have a taller screen and no heater. Unless it went thru iva with no screen on. 

1 hour ago, BugMan said:

so where do you put your lunch AdgeC, lol?

Great list and sort of on target for my selection, again with the EXACT same concern for the 2nd seat.

If you go with the FW rear, (another option I forgot along with 4 point harnesses!) two rounds of sarnies will just about fill your boot box!

Think the taller screen is standard on the 250, as Steve said. Even though it's an "option" the heater was another "mandatory option" for a road car when I ordered mine end of Oct 2016.

You'll need to keep the "2nd seat" happy, it's surprising the way "little things" add up during the build, even though the kit contains everything!

Have you taken the plunge and ordered yet? If so when are hoping to collect?

If you don't fit a screen for Iva there's no need for a heater. If you don't have the screen there's nothing to demist