Javelin Sprint @ Blyton Sunday 16th April

B.RAD

I think I deserve some of the glory for my pit support and pep talk. 

• Like 2

Well done Barny...

• Like 1

Cheers all, you're too kind. All a bit unexpected.

Results were 1st in class and 2nd fastest overall - with much more to come had it stayed dry (new PB on the first timed run on old Kumhos, definitely more to come). Very proud to then be the fastest car on every wet lap (the last three and it was ridiculously wet!).

I've put a post on Facebook to say my thoughts but I'll summarise here - the MSA have got it very, very wrong. Brilliant event from Javelin, the class structure worked brilliantly, 2 sighting laps, 1 untimed practice and then 6 timed runs, and finished before 3.30pm. They then allowed single untimed practice runs for anyone who wanted to get more value for money. Simply brilliant.

I'll be doing more, and will likely prioritise over MSA events now.

Yep - can see most of that.

I did expect you to do well though - good driver and well developed sprint car.

But class structure very broad, would be poo for me competing against you in my Lardy lower powered Westie. Mines a bit nearer but still not a competitive Westfield in SS.

• Like 1

All it needs is more entries Dave, then you and Ben Edwards would be in the same class - there was no F3 today, just F2 (us) and F1 (silly monster power cars).

So had you entered, they would have put you, Ben and Richard in one class (F3), me and the Caterhams in F2 and the rest as is. Then it's just down to who can drive the best. Simples. 

Sounds brill

Only reason I've not had a go yet is availability :(

Looking at results Recon I'd have been low/mid 20s overall based on last wscc Blyton times.

• Like 1

Would my little 1000cc car on slicks be in your class Barny???

Well done today mate, beautifully driven! A godawful day for me results wise but still a lot of fun trying to keep it on track :laugh:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terry everall said:

Would my little 1000cc car on slicks be in your class Barny???

Possibly. What sort of power/weight?

31 minutes ago, benedwards64 said:

Well done today mate, beautifully driven! A godawful day for me results wise but still a lot of fun trying to keep it on track :laugh:

Thank you, you're too kind :t-up: Sorry you had a bad day, I know how frustrating it is when that happens, I think you gave all your luck to me for the day! :laugh:

Yes you'd probably be in our class if you weren't particularly honest about your power/weight Tel, but then if you were absolutely smashing our times but in line with the class above, you'd get moved up. Fair enough I reckon.

I would like to be able to understand how the classes are established  etc and make comparisons with our speed series. Road going tyres versus slicks seems a bit daft IMHO

Why does power to weight come into play?

Well, 1000cc could be anything from a hatchback-derived 60bhp 4-banger to a 160bhp bike engine. Generally you pick the class you think you would fit in, and if you're markedly faster/slower the Javelin guys will move you up or down accordingly. To give you an idea, F1 has had a 400bhp Sylva Phoenix on slicks, a 280bhp Mazda-powered kit on AR1s and an R500 on Avons. F2 has Barny, me with a farty old Fiat twink (160ish bhp) on R888Rs, a Caterham R400 on Avons and Richard in an 1100cc GPZ-powered Locost on slicks. F3 had no runners today, but usually has a 105bhp K-series Caterham and a 1.3 X-flow Locost. 

While I had a remarkably shocking day today, myself, the R400 and the GPZ Locost have all beaten each other at various points over the last couple of years so it's a lot of fun. You just to need to take a more relaxed approach to the classes than MSA events and enjoy the track time :)

• Like 1

The classes are really simple Tel, have a look at the regs on the link Dave put up earlier.

The honesty bit comes from the driver being up front about what they've got, if you know that you can run sub 64secs around Blyton, it'd be a bit out of order to put yourself in F2, but it's your call at the end of the day.

I wouldn't try to compare class structure to MSA, it's the whole organisation that makes it better. Points are scored based on overall position on the day, so if there are 100 runners, 1st scores 100 points and 100th scores 1 point. As Ben says above, chill out and enjoy the atmosphere and the competition, if you get beat by a quicker car, you got beat. Easy.