Help

Ben

It looks very much like the old forum software had an "undelete" function, but the new one does not.

From what I have read, it seems the developers thought it was confusing to have so many "states" of deletion, so replaced it with a big fek-off warning (which I assume you accidentally ignored).

The only option I can think of right now (unless anyone else knows better @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep ?) is to try and get the database restored from a backup, then run a sql query to select the old thread and then figure out how to insert it back in again.

This may take a little time.

I'll try and find an easier route, but if not, then when I get some spare time, I'll look at getting the thread back from the dead for you.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 2

I looked as well and couldn't find it.  As Chris says, the old forum had a recovery option for moderators, but the new one doesn't. I'm sure Chris will do his best, but a sad and important lesson for everyone - it would seem delete means delete. :( 

I don't remember seeing a delete warning. I was only trying to delete a double post lol. Don't worry too much about it my cars built now anyway 

2 minutes ago, bunje said:

I don't remember seeing a delete warning. I was only trying to delete a double post lol. Don't worry too much about it my cars built now anyway 

Funny - but deleting a double post and then finding you deleted more was a complaint I came across when looking into how to un-delete!

The data will be backed up - restoring it (without everything else at the same time) is the tricky bit.

Haha - no worries Ben.

It will be handy for me to understand the process, so when I get time, I'll look into it.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ben

not had a chance yet. 

Can you remind me tomorrow daytime and I'll look when at work as that's when I can access the database. 

Chris

@bunje I managed to find over 1000 posts from the start up to mid October 2016 (last time we 'cloned' the entire database) and have imported them into the live forum database.

This was the most straightforward option, so figured it was better than nothing!

However, they probably won't appear (in the searches) until the forum is properly "indexed" - and this is something that can take literally days to do - AND it means that searches for everyone can go a bit iffy until the indexing is complete.

So, despite the fact that generally, the indexing appears to go smoothly and isn't picked up by most of us, I'd like to do this when we next do a software patch on the Forum - which is usually around once a month (last one was about a week ago) as the re-indexing will then happen for a site-wide "admin" reason.

I'll see if I can recover the posts from October '16 onwards but can't promise as they are buried in the system backups - and to access just your posts, I'd need to have a separate copy of the recovered database - which means creating a virtual machine for it - and... well, I'll not bore you!

[EDIT] - seems odd to me that the thread isn't showing if you type it in manually - so looking into that now- the indexing should really only affect searches...

AHA! - @bunje it's back! Thought it seemed odd that I'd need to re-index the forum.

So, while it might not appear in searches until the index is rebuilt - at least you have the majority of the thread back.

• Like 3