Hello from Bramhall

1960dave

Pro built/factory built is one of those things that always tickles me, when you see it on a prospective buyers list of wants.

Dont get me wrong, I don't want to run the factory or any other pro down, you are guaranteed a certain quality level and that things will be to a certain standard. (Or that should be the case...)

BUT, what gets forgotten, is that a commercial build, whoever it's by, has to by rights, at the very least break even cost wise, (assuming profit from parts/components sales) and should really make its profit margin however small, that might be. Which means controlling the labour cost and so the builder is limited on time. The nice touches, the extra care and attention, at the detail work, generally have to go out of the window! Well, unless it's one of those very, very rare cases where a buyer will pay to have that level of build carried out.

• Like 1

PS, great to catch up at the Cheshire meet, also great to see another owner with (professional) old school Ford/carb experience on the Boardroom.

• Like 1

Totally agree David having said that we weren't allowed to cut corners building the GTD40 many years ago but they were 160 mph expansive kits. Great chatting about old school cars. 

• Like 1

Yeah, once you reach a certain level, where the base product is significantly more expensive, then there's more of an expectation when it comes to the build.

Its more the seven style car market (Caterham excepted) where the build has to be more of a budget. That doesn't mean, or shouldn't mean, done badly. But where as you or I or another home builder, might take significantly longer, routing and dressing a loom, the commercial build will secure it safely and as neatly as they can, but then that's it. They just can't go the extra mile.

• 3 weeks later...

That Capri looks like it could be interesting

• Like 1

I think it had a carb fire at some point. Gaitors are on the list and new ones have been bought. When its running its new bonnet new nose and new wings but thats the easy part, there is so much I want to do but westfield dont make the body shell any more so I cannot ever change that same with the scuttlee but all of that is a job for next winter. Enjoy it for a while first then resort so its like new

That capri has a mad volvo turbo engine in it the guy that owns the unit is mental health has turbo's mk1 mr2's a hillman imp that he's putting a subaru engine in he's as mad as me

:ww: makes me feel a whole lot better to see the Westfield wing of this institution is still attracting new patients :t-up: 

Great to see another x flow rescued, I miss mine, gotta go my medication has arrived all the best,will you be at Stoneleigh

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had a good day today engine mounting brackets made and fitted, however i'm not happy with the gear lever. Started wiring the engine up so slowly getting there.

• Like 1

What's the gear lever issue? Position?

Yes the position Dave a bit too far forward but I think it might get bent. More problems today as the carbs and throttle linkage hit the bonnet. As I understand the gearbox can only go at one height and the engine should be level, I took level to the chassis being level. If that is right then its the manifold and linkage for the Dellortos that is wrong. I am determined to keep the car low level.

Andy has recently swapped to a Type 9 gearbox in his car, from an MT75, the new gear lever position was also too far forward, BUT, not far enough for Andy to be able to use a remote extension.

As Andy didn't want the typical angled back gear lever, that you get the way they're normally bent. He's had his done with a sort of swan-neck type S-bend that sits below the gaiter. (Though he was getting a slightly bigger gaiter to suit it).

It's a really neat solution though, to an awkward little niggly problem.