Hello from Bramhall

1960dave

Thanks for that was thinking of going to both Knutsford and Oldham. I font know about the run out as I'm down to the mr2 at the moment 

59 minutes ago, 1960dave said:

Thanks for that was thinking of going to both Knutsford and Oldham. I font know about the run out as I'm down to the mr2 at the moment 

MR2 fine, we often have non Westies along to run outs :yes:

Yeah, we regularly have MX5's, Elise's, Exige's etc, and the friend of a couple of old club members used to pop along in a track prepped mk2 MR2, oh and we occasionally have a coup,e of bikes too!

With certain, pretty rare exceptions - and it's usually 'cause we're guests at a show somewhere and they want us to be an exhibit, all are welcome at meets and runs out, it doesn't matter what you drive*, we're all petrolheads at heart.

*though members need to use their judgment on runs out! :d we don't go ballistic, but it wouldn't be much fun following in a shopping trolley hatchback, either!!

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 20:59, 1960dave said:

20161218_172352.jpg

Nice wheels, I bought some of these for a MK 2 XR2, looked great as they had anthracite spokes and the car was grey, but Compamotive made them to RS2000 offset and they locked on the calipers, Absolutley gutted, didn't want to use spacers, so the pepperpots had to go back on.

Anyway, welcome to the club and your not too far from Yorkshire either.

Welcome, great to see another older Westie coming back into action. Good luck with the search for a crossflow.

Gary

Just remember that the XR crossflow does not work in the in line position, so make sure you get a rwd engine. Seems a few on fleabay , but they do command a few pennies. Maybe better to get one that needs a refresh, so you know all is good before you drop it in. Alternatively , although not 'classic' perhaps put a 1600 ford sigma engine in from a focus . They can be had for not a lot. Its a bit more involved and exhaust is on the other side, but you will get a newer engine and more power with reliability.

I picked the engine and box up today a 450 mile trip for a 1750 crossflow with fast road cam new alternator new water pump new clutch T9 box. 

Sounds great. Bet that was a pretty penny ! Do you know if the car had a 4 speed or 5 speed before ? If a 4 speed the gearbox mount might possibly be in the wrong place for 5 speed and you will have to change the gearbox to prop fitting on the prop. 

I think it had a 5 speed but I will check tomorrow with Paul who I bought the car from. Having said that the money that was spent on the car for the original build I suspect it was a 5 speed 

Whoever built your car originally can't be much of a professional--------he forgot to put an engine in it :)

• Like 1

Lovely looking car! And great to read it's having a proper engine put back in. Make sure those clamshells remain in place as well!

Allan

• Like 1

The reason I went for it is because it didn't have cycle wingsI. Hopefully by weekend I should have the other engine mounting bracket I need and a stainless manifold.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1960dave said:

The reason I went for it is because it didn't have cycle wingsI. Hopefully by weekend I should have the other engine mounting bracket I need and a stainless manifold.

Music to my ears!! :t-up: ;)

Seriously though, much as I like the cycle wing look too, and if you've grown tired of  a car you originally built on clams and want to swap, that's one thing. But it always puzzled me when people bought lovely classic looking clam shell cars second hand, only to immediately start ripping them off and converting to cycle wings.  Because of how the clams attach, it's almost impossible not to end up with a tub either in need of replacement, or a respray. Or you end up with randomly placed big stickers, trying to cover the holes... 

Such a shame, when there are usually plenty of s/h cycle wing cars to go at, if that's what floats your boat.

Long live the clamshell! :d

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had a great day today took the dash out to find the wiring is a mess (or i'm fussy) so ordered 2 looms from catering. Then as I was sat in the drivers seat and the dash wasn't in I thought I would lift the column up a bit. Not a chance so it's time to start grinding off the weld to make it right or just get another column. Oh the joys of buying a pro built cat thanks Mr Nightingale no wonder you sold the company off.

• Like 2