Online 2017 Speed Series Entries available NOW!

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

I can thoroughly recommend 'having a go' 'dipping your toe' etc etc

You may love it or not, but I'd be very suprised if you regretted having a go!

If you can do only one weekend, then you won't get a safer, more supportive event than our very own WSCC SS Blyton.

Or pick a sprint nearest to you.

Either way there's bound to be some of us to give plenty of support and advice.

• Like 2

Agree with the above, just chuck your name in and have a go, I did just one event in 2014 and that was it, fully hooked! 

It's a great sport and made even better by the comraderie of the WSCC competitors, got some brilliant mates from just 2 years of sprinting, so come on down!

• Like 4

Some people think track days are better value for money but IMHO they are not. Wear and tear on the car far outweighs any increase in track time benefit plus the travelling and accommodation and potential carnage to the car are just as expensive plus you don't have the opportunity to win or prove anything against fellow owners of the same marque

• Like 5

Is there a definitive list of stuff needed to compete, on day one, first race,  with a road worthy road going Westfield? If so please point me.  I'd love to have a go...    It was my plan when I bought the car.  Last year was supposed to be shakedown, this year use it in anger,  but i'm still on shakedown and still have a long ish to do list,  money and time are limiting factors.  I'll never do a whole series but I'd like to do a few races each year.   I've only ever competed in night road rallies, and that was over 10 years ago  (pre-children).    Below is a mini list of possible requirements off the top of my head.   I have no idea if they are relevant or not?  

• Battery cut off switch? With relevant stickers?   best place to position?
  • Timer beam cutter?
  • Roll over protection MSA approved if fitted?   or non?
  • Tow points, and stickers? can the cage be used 
  • HANS?
  • Seats, heights, fixing? 
  • Competition MSA approved helmet and dated?
  • MSA approved belts and dated correclty?
  • Road going tyres correctly marked as such
  • Sound regs clearly (like track days)
  • Insurance?
  • Plastic screws to hold on front and rear?  removable wheel arches.
  • Speed series membership.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DamperMan said:

Is there a definitive list of stuff needed to compete, on day one, first race,  with a road worthy road going Westfield? If so please point me.  I'd love to have a go...    It was my plan when I bought the car.  Last year was supposed to be shakedown, this year use it in anger,  but i'm still on shakedown and still have a long ish to do list,  money and time are limiting factors.  I'll never do a whole series but I'd like to do a few races each year.   I've only ever competed in night road rallies, and that was over 10 years ago  (pre-children).    Below is a mini list of possible requirements off the top of my head.   I have no idea if they are relevant or not?  

• Battery cut off switch? With relevant stickers?   best place to position?
  • Timer beam cutter?
  • Roll over protection MSA approved if fitted?   or non?
  • Tow points, and stickers? can the cage be used 
  • HANS?
  • Seats, heights, fixing? 
  • Competition MSA approved helmet and dated?
  • MSA approved belts and dated correclty?
  • Road going tyres correctly marked as such
  • Sound regs clearly (like track days)
  • Insurance?
  • Plastic screws to hold on front and rear?  removable wheel arches.
  • Speed series membership.

If it is a true road going car then the important things are:-

• Taxed, insured and MOT
  • Ignition switch OFF position labelled
  • Timing beam splitter
  • Battery negative lead marked with yellow tape
  • Tyres that are on list 1A or 1B of the MSA blue book
  • An MSA speed licence (national B)
  • An MSA spec roll over bar
  • MSA approved Race suit, helmet and gloves
  • WSCC membership and entry to the speed series

If you start using tyres that aren't on list 1A or 1B then it starts to get messy

• Like 2

I just need timing splitter, yellow tape, stickers,  helmet, suit, gloves, Licence and membership.   Father christmas where are you!    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DamperMan said:

I just need timing splitter, yellow tape, stickers,  helmet, suit, gloves, Licence and membership.   Father christmas where are you!    

Probably at the end of Plays Kool's phone line ;)

18 minutes ago, DamperMan said:

helmet, suit, gloves, 

Or put out a plee to borrow these items, unless your sure you'll compete regularly even if infrequently.  When I started there were plenty of offers to borrow in date kit not being used at events.

My first sprint I wore a suit several sizes too small (squeeky voice :blush: ) Next one was a suit couple of sizes too big! BUT both did there job :yes:

9 minutes ago, DamperMan said:

I would never go for a used helmet but the expensive suit can be found for very little money on eBay and some on here have old spares that they are happy to lend a newcomer.

Suits that are no longer within date in other types of motorsport can be still compliant for Speed (Hillclimbs and Sprints).  Just check the labels and as long as they are one of the following and in good condition then will be ok.....

FIA 8856-2000

FIA 1986 Standard

FIA 8856-2000
FIA 1986 Standard

Also take a look at the "Beginners Guide" pinned at the top of this forum, there will soon be an updated 2017 version released.

I have a spare set of overalls, gloves and helmet that I can bring along to an event for any new starter to borrow, if it helps.

• Like 3

On 17/02/2017 at 16:24, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

So who are the Novices?

Here's the updated list as of today's date:

8.JPG

9.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John said:

Probably at the end of Plays Kool's phone line ;)

And the other end of the phone line to MR B.A.R Clays..   :)   

Howard and Ade now registered as well :t-up:

Just entered.

Shame I'll be alone in my class. HANS thing pulled me over to move to D even with toyos.