Essex Area 2017

Kevin (Mr T)

Difficult to beat driving in a Westfield in Wales in the sun;).

One thing in my to do list was to get a small group (probably 5) who don't mind waiting around and do a promotional video. Was thinking along the lines of smokey's video but with more card and drive by apex shots etc

Sounds interesting, where will I find Smokey's video?

I like the idea of a spring and autumn long weekend away Kevin.

Regarding the monthly meeting, personally I'm quite tied up weekday evenings, so I quite like Sunday lunch time. Also because I've been enjoying a blat out in the countryside in the morning before winding up at the meeting....  so, just as an idea, would anyone be interested in meeting up (at the Lodge or somewhere else convenient) at say 10.00 am on the morning of the meeting and doing a loop around South Essex with the aim of getting back to the Lodge for around 12.00? Might not be South Wales, but I'm thinking we should go out and find the best roads in Essex before we make judgement!   :)

Also a good idea Ken, it just feels like the Sunday meet needs a bit more driving included

Also a good idea Ken, it just feels like the Sunday meet needs a bit more driving included

Agreed not many blast this year

Sounds interesting, where will I find Smokey's video?

I'm guessing Pete means this one? It was film with 3 cameras and 2 passes on the same stretch of road.

I'd really like to do Cadwell Park at some point and given that's a reasonable trek for a there-and-back same day maybe we could arrange a group trip the day before then stay overnight?  

Although we would probably mostly trailer the car there for trackday wheels etc...

Just a thought as it's one I've been meaning to do for a while

• Like 1

I'd really like to do Cadwell Park at some point and given that's a reasonable trek for a there-and-back same day maybe we could arrange a group trip the day before then stay overnight?  

Although we would probably mostly trailer the car there for trackday wheels etc...

I'm with you on that one. Did a three day single seater course there many moons ago and loved it. Stayed in a fantastic B&B in Louth that served fresh kippers for breakfast! I will put it on my "to be investigated" list.

• Like 1

I'll come along, been meaning to do Cadwell and travelling the day before is something I have done before when going to Silverstone, Mallory Park.

• Like 1

Ken, I planned a little 90 miles route around Essex before the monthly meet, but I couldn't make it. Now I don't know if the pace was a little slower with Mark leading but after 3 1/3 hours of circling deepest Essex they turned up 1 1/2 hours late :)

LOL, that just means they set out 1 1/2 hours late  :)

Seriously though, its a good point and any route needs to allow for unpredictable traffic, tractors, village parades, five abreast cyclists, the odd wrong turn etc, etc. It also needs to allow for different paces of members' driving styles, all the way from a Sunday 'jaunt' to... Pistol Pete Pace!  :d

Anyway I'm sure with a bit of planning we can come up with some routes of different lengths, and importantly some 'shortcut' return options via main roads to allow for any delays en route. Be interested to see your 3 1/2 hour loop Pete... you got it as a gpx file?

Motorsport Vision will be publishing their Cadwell Park trackday calendar for 2017 in the next couple of weeks.

They will offer us a 10% discount and a free garage for 5 or more cars.

Will start a new thread when the dates are available.

• Like 1

I have a host of route through essex, Wii email them over later for you. When doing follow the leader I usually plan on averaging 30mph, given lots of the road we use are small or large b roads with the occassional white road for fun - then there's the 6" Ford that there of us waded through :).

• Like 1