Don't you just hate it when that happens.

DamperMan

I'd go for the new one.  Unless you know the history, there's always the risk that the car rolled, and its killed its bearings or its a 150+k motor.

And once you've got it working, try not to open the bonnet - its bad luck

Powertorque have some Automatic engines in stock at 695 + VAT... They need a flywheel and crank sensor bracket...    I've ordered a new manual one this morning for £50 more including delivery from elseware.

For some reason I thought the new engines where Ford motorsport engines and they had the ST170 bottom end but std non VVTi top end.    But I can't find any reference to that in reality.   I think I'll need to wait for the engine to see if it takes St170 or Std flywheel bolts as I believe they are different.  Again i'm probably wrong...   

well I removed the engine tonight

Inlet piston number 1 has some interesting aluminium munchings in... I ai assume then to be either head or piston.

564C4FDD-C0FB-4D15-AC4F-EDBBEED863F9_zps

on the exhaust side more conclusive was a broken valve shaft and half a head.

7C05C8FC-B01E-4988-98D9-C562220157C8_zps

7E1891A0-830D-4999-802A-772112B01173_zps

If you go to the right place the engine will come with a known milage. My old Silvertop came with loads of info Inc the car vin. It also had a 3 month guarantee.

I'm pretty sure my st170 did also.

I thought it had just ate the valves. It turns out it ate a complete piston. Very impressive for about 20 seconds of tickover.

93AE489B-D519-436C-A20B-618022D1D364_zps

There's just a gudgion pin on the Conrod no piston any more

Ifter stripping out the baffles I left it in the work spray wash 'Rotajet' machine in fabrication for 30 minutes before considering it to be near clean... I struggle to comprehend it even has the power/ momentum in the flywheel to do this on tick over.. I'd hoped to sell the 2.o cams to a 1.8 owner. But I'' struggling to find anything saleable NBC the old engine

Update engines all ready. Took the gearbox out today.. pondering upgrade here.. I want to move the engine back 2" so there's a bit of work to do.. propshaft needs a visit to the chop saw and a weld. I need to cut a chunk out of the bell housing for my narrow tunnel. Mod the engine mounts. All good fun :)

I struggle to comprehend it even has the power/ momentum in the flywheel to do this on tick over..

If tickover is 800rpm, that's what, 13ish revs a second? How many times would you have to hit that with a hammer to break it in to that many pieces? 50 times? 100 times? 100 "hits with the hammer" would take a bit less than 7 seconds.

20 seconds of tickover is more than enough... 

If tickover is 800rpm, that's what, 13ish revs a second? How many times would you have to hit that with a hammer to break it in to that many pieces? 50 times? 100 times? 100 "hits with the hammer" would take a bit less than 7 seconds.

20 seconds of tickover is more than enough... 

When my XE engine disintegrated last year it was only (only !!) doing 6,000 rpm - so yes, the mind boggles when you work that out in seconds and I thought I was pretty quick in hitting the engine kill switch - perhaps 2 seconds but as you say, in those 2 seconds the sledge hammer has had its evil way 200 times :cry:   (and not to mention momentum, inertia, centrifugal forces etc ).

I can still hear the sickening "thud" as the engine locked itself solid and relieved itself of all its hot water and oil....... it gave me a much needed reminder that a) we shouldn't blast the pants off them without being prepared for the consequences b) you shouldn't ignore any new strange noises hoping they'll go away :blush: and c) don't tempt fate with either missing recommended service item change intervals or using cheap replacement parts (especially for belt driven cam systems !!)  

(which reminds me I need to change the belt on our 200tdi Defender - but why do they make it so flipping difficult :angry:  - and I certainly won't be using any bits from B***part :o

perhaps 2 seconds but as you say, in those 2 seconds the sledge hammer has had its evil way 200 times

120 times...

6000 revs in 60 secs = 600 revs in 10 seconds = 60 revs a second, x 2 = 120.

I hope your maths is better when it comes to pay review time :oops::p  :getmecoat: 

120 times...

6000 revs in 60 secs = 600 revs in 10 seconds = 60 revs a second, x 2 = 120.

I hope your maths is better when it comes to pay review time :oops::p  :getmecoat: 

ummm .... surely 6000rpm divided by 60 seconds = 100 revolutions per second, so one second = 100 revolutions and two seconds would be 200 revolutions

conversely, if one second = 100 revolutions then 60 seconds would be 60 x 100 = 6000 revolutions in a minute

in your example if 600 revs in 10 seconds = 60 rps then conversely 60rps x 60  (seconds) would be 3600rpm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_per_minute

and actually I used the calculator here

http://www.convertunits.com/from/revolutions+per+minute/to/revolution+per+second

or the other way round...

http://www.convertunits.com/from/revolution+per+second/to/revolutions+per+minute

(note - that website also has a Salary Calculator ! :p )

You had me worried there - I thought it was just me at 1 o'clock in the morning !   :d  (spine problems again - can't sleep :down: )

Getting back to the OP though.....

I'd love to try something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-crate-Engine-FORD-2-7-Ecoboost-V6-Twin-Turbo-Petrol-/262710769783?hash=item3d2ac83877:g:d1kAAOSwal5YIgP7

V6 sounds about the right size for a Westie and 325hp / 375 lb/ft (there's a high performance version that has 450hp and 510 lb/ft :d ) - the 325 one for £2k makes me wonder why on earth I rebuilt my XE at twice the price (ok, I know - the extra costs of a conversion etc) - but if there's a next time ......... :rolleyes: