route planning

BenD

I thought most Essex lads were like that?

No,    Just Pete.

• Like 1

ok so ive sussed out how to get my files onto my tom tom works a treat thanks for the heads up but i think i read it can also do files for a garmin so how do i translate files for a garmin

If you are referring to tyre, you can just save as and select garmin

Gpx file type, you can also go into preferees and uncheck TomTom.

Do Garmin's GPS files work on phones? I'd been under the impression that only one or two phone based GPS packages would work with Tyre. (Navigon and another, I forget the name of).

mine is a garmin powered by navigon dave i never had chance to try it the weekend but the one i did for the tom tom worked a treat upto blyton and back

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the "old thread" update, but just in case anyone searches this topic in future, I can confirm that the free version of Tyre (which i've just downloaded today) will let you plan a route by adding waypoints (double click then name on a road map) and then export the route directly to (fairly newish) TomTom device.

It does this via tomtom My drive.

So after downloading and spending only 10 minutes I've successfully created and copied a fairly detailed 150 mile route to my TomTom (mines a Go 5000).

When I open up the tomtom the route simply appears in "My routes".

The full tomtom features are be present (as to be expected), speed limits, speed cameras, live traffic etc along with guidance.

I'm so impressed I think I'll shell out 25 euros for the lifetime Tyre Pro licence.

• Like 1

I may replace my 10 year old Tom Tom

What is the simplest to use and a reasonable price... How do they link to live road info and is it worth it? Never had it before

• Like 1

Hi Terry.

I bought a TomTom 1000 to use in Buttercup and its a great little machine.

Very easy to use.

here is one on eBay with everything you need.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TomTom-GO-LIVE-1000-Automotive-GPS-Receiver-/262654663258?hash=item3d27701a5a:g:vSwAAOSw8gVX8UwL

The one Geoff has linked is reasonable but the live services have expired.  It may be just a case of paying tomtom a yearly fee.  My Go 5000 replaced a previous tomtom that was at least 12 years old.  The old one still works but the 5000 is clearly light years ahead of it.

The 5000 is about £250 (at least that's what the wife said she bought it for (I think it was on offer on-line before last Xmas).

It has lifetime map upgrades, lifetime speed camera updates and also live traffic. So, once bought absolutely no annual fees for anything.

The unit works through TomTom Mydrive web site, through which you register and create an account.  Once set up (free) you log in with your device and also your PC.  I log my blackberry in too as you can add a smartphone.

On the PC, or phone I can plan a route, see if there are any reported road closures, delays or roadworks then send it to the 5000 device.  When I jump in the car a switch the device on, the route pops up.

The unit, once logged in, connects continuously to TomTom data services, which is how all the traffic data is updated in real time.

I've only just started using the tomtom in the Westfield really because, as I no longer work,  it just sits on my desk and collects dust.

I like the fact that in addition to voice guidance, it announces the roads to you too, ie turn left into "Crinkley Bottom road".

One feature I do find useful is that it just knows the speed limit of Every strech of road.  The unit warns you when you creep a few mph over this limit too.

So. although it was relatively expensive, you pay for what you get.

• Like 2

My Tom Tom live services have expired long ago but the sat Nov works great without them you just don't get the traffic updates and stuff. I think it's a tenner a month for live and I'm my opinion if your not a driver for a living. Its not worth it

• Like 1

I've just started using an app called Waze and it gives you traffic information and rerouting speed cameras etc and it's free. I've been impressed with it so far

I use the TomTom app on Android.

Far cheaper than buying a full unit, and comes with speed camera & live traffic!

Download maps of where ever you need in the world before you go.

£30 ish for 3 years use. Bargain.

Links to Mydrive.

Highly recommended :yes:

I use a really old satnav in the westie as with no screen or roof I'm worried about it getting water damaged.

Anyone recommend a decent waterproof unit?

My Galaxy S5 Android is waterproof!

The new S7 is too

& some of the Sony phones.

I don't think any car Sat Nav are.

Motorbike targeted ones would be.