route planning

BenD

what do people use when planning roues on there pc to download to there sat navs

i have a tom tom and would like to plan the route on my pc and download it to my sat nav if thats possible

i think there was a thread about this a while ago but i carnt find it

thanks in advance

Tyre is brilliant software for this, BUT, only older 2nd generation software Tomtoms and the Rider models have the facility to work with itineraries. Which are by far the best way of doing it. (They basically allow you to generate loads of waypoints, placed exactly where you want on the map, to force the TT to calculate a route from waypoint to waypoint. Pick enough waypoints and you can make the TT guide you down the roads you want.) Tyre generates the itn. Files and then uploads them to your TT.

There is talk of a new system on Tomtoms, route tracks or something like that, that tries to do similar, but I've yet to talk to anyone who's used it, let alone recommended it.

I've just bought a Tomtom XXL Classic off eBay to replace my ancient and failing Tomtom One, as it still does the itn function. Though one blow is that they've deleted the headphone option :bangshead:

• Like 1

Forgot to add, Garmin also have an equivalent of the itn function, though I can't remember what they call it.

Garmin Basecamp. Pretty user unfriendly though

Tyre, which is very user friendly can output the same sort of files as Basecamp, so is compatible with Garmins Basecamp enabled GPS's.

Should have also said, Tyre is free, though there are upgraded versions for a small fee.

I think some of the Live services ones are in the cross over period before itn. functions were removed. Certainly the Go 750 and 950 models still had it.

its a tom tom xl live iq routes edition i have i think ill have to have a look if it has itinery planning

I think that should do it; this is Tyre used with an XXL IQ Routes Edition, which I believe was the follow up model to yours.

The route planned out with Tyre:

tyre_screen_grab.JPG

You can use the Tyre software (or a combination of Tre and Tomtom's Home software) to upload the route(s).

Go into the Tomtoms menu, and it should have a version of the screen below, with Itinerary Planning as an option, select it.

IMG_3741.JPG

You should then be able to navigate to a list of stored itineraries on your Tomtom, in my case:

IMG_3742.JPG

Once selected and loaded in, you then get the list of Waypoints, which force the Tomto to calculate your selected route.

IMG_3743.JPG

Once this list is up, you can even tap on individual lines to edit them - handy if you find a problem while driving the route.

One other thing - if for some reason you miss a waypoint, and don't want to be directed back to it, select it from the list above, and on the following screen, mark it as "visited".

2016-07-07%2B12.59.11.jpg

• Like 1

Just to add what Dave has comprehensively said, you really need to practice being able to recognise when you need to delete a waypoint and how to delete a waypoint when on the move. Failure to do this will have you driving in a a continuous loop until you hit said waypoint - which can be tricky when you discovered you have placed it in a field next to the road you're on :) 

Tis a great way to drive a specific route, all three road trips I have done have used this method and all of the Essex blats - its great driving the length of the country and not having a clue where you are  :yes:  :yes:

my screens look like yours dave so it should work thanks for the help.

thanks pete ill keep that in mind just gotta plan a non motorway route to silverstone now

I do it slightly different and don't use waypoints.

I add each item the night before as a destination in the list I want to visit them.

the next place is always last on my list.

If I have a lot of places on my route, I write the order down on a piece of paper.

As I get close to the place, I just click on the next destination.

When I get home on the night, I just deleate them all at once.

It works for me.

I use http://www.motogoloco.com/ - it's designed for bikers but works well and allows you to plug in a TomTom or Garmin and send routes directly.

Only point to note (not read above posts, so may have been mentioned) is that on my Garmin you need to ensure you add enough waypoints, or else it tries to do it's own route between waypoints!

I only wish I'd had the Garmin BEFORE I did Austria  :down:

Yeah, Tyre comes from a Motorcycle background.

The other beauty of Tyre/itinerary based planning is that you can easily swap .itn files between a group. Likewise, any member of the group can tweak the route if it proves necessary (either on a Tomtom or on a PC with Tyre) and swap the file back around everyone else.

its great driving the length of the country and not having a clue where you are  :yes:  :yes:

I thought most Essex lads were like that?

• Like 1