New company car - what 4x4?

TAFKARM

Turns out my beloved Golf GTD, only a year old it being written off. On the bright side, time for a new car. 

Since we moved, the Golf didn't really "work" for us - it was too small and due to our location we could really do with a 4x4. 

Considering a Discovery Sport - does anyone have any experience?

Open to suggestions as to what else I should be considering as the Disco is at the top end of the budget. 

I want to be able to sling stuff in the back of it and tow the westie potentially. Must be a decent spec and ideally be able to option it with adaptive cruise control. 

Over to you...

Don't laugh but my Outlander PHEV is saving me over £400 per month in BIK tax over my 530d

Defender!  That's my other car and makes a good contrast to the Westfield.  Came into its own towing the Westfield to its IVA and is perfect for throwing tools and oily parts into the back.

Actually, cancel that; I now see you want a decent spec...

Approx 45k miles a year too Nick!

Cleggy, I do like those, but not sure a hybrid would go down very well in my line of work... (And probably not on list!!)

I had a road test in an 8 speed auto Discovery Sport last month. I really did like it but by the time I added all the options I wanted it came in at £35,000 which in my humble opinion is way over the top for what it is.

Outlander PHEV gets my nod wish I had it on my list at work keep trying but no joy

Shame the new Yeti isn't out yet, I'm sure that would fit the bill if, like me, you don't mind the badge!

I have had 4 discos in a row. Nothing like them. Best car to drive and are brilliant when they are running. All four have had mechanical issues and reliability is a problem so take out the best cover you can afford from the AA. Landrover Assistance is brilliant. Tried all other makes / models but nothing quite like it. Have to put up with reliability issues to have the best car. As Clarkson put it - the most unreliable 4x4 is also the best 4x4!

As far as towing is concerned - I had a braked trailer capable of taking two tons. Had to remember I had it on the back as the car didn't seem to notice. Carrying a Westy will be no trouble at all.

• Like 1

Outlander not on list. Lexus RX300h is though?

I tried various Yetis when I was looking for the other half, not keen on them for the number of miles I do. Superb / Octavia Estate 4x4 being considered though...

Part of the appeal of the Disco is with it being a company car *when* it goes wrong I won't be paying for the repairs....

Q5, XC60, CRVs and X Trails any good?

The Discos are huge and have the problem finding a parking space it will fit into.   Th Q5 would be my choice, just the right size and if the budget ca be stretched a bit then it would be the SQ5

Landrovers do have a certain magic, but they're changing, and dam expensive as they pay for Jaguars losses.

Do have a look at the spin-offs - BMW & Volvo.  Also dam expensive, but the cheap 4x4s are usually complete C&@p

Bought an XC60 earlier this  year for the wife.... 2 wheel drive, very happy with it.

Looked briefly at a evoque...which had theboot the size of a thimble,

RussH, I bought a 6 month old Octavia estate with all the bells and whistles including 4x4 a couple of months ago, and I can't fault it so far. However, if you want a "real" 4x4 do bear in mind that it has "intelligent" 4x4, so it is really a 2 wheel driver most of the time. The rear wheels only get drive if a front wheel starts spinning. Mind you, the new Disco has a similar system I am told, so if it works for JLR then I see no reason why it shouldn't work for Skoda. And it does mean that the fuel consumption on the road is incredible for a relatively large car.  

Toyota RAV4. Lexus also do an equivalent. My wife has one and its lovely to drive

If you don't need the full 4x4 experience and associated increase in fuel consumption and reduction in range there are also the 4 wheel drive estates sold by Audi and BMW that may be an option.