Anyone put winter tyres on the daily yet?

TAFKARM

I must admit if the weather carries on like this, they were a bit of a pointless purchase!

I must admit if the weather carries on like this, they were a bit of a pointless purchase!

Exactly what I was thinking. Bought new wheels and winter tyres for the O/H's new Fiesta but fortunately held off with my car. Probably the thought of shelling out another grand if I'm honest :)

I am fascinated by the TV ad running at the moment (Michelin I think) that says that for the first time they have all-weather tyres. They spent a decade persuading us that we really need winter tyres and summer tyres, when the older ones among us have always bought just 'tyres' for most of our motoring lives. Now they want to sell us just 'tyres'! 

:bangshead:

Exactly what I was thinking. Bought new wheels and winter tyres for the O/H's new Fiesta but fortunately held off with my car. Probably the thought of shelling out another grand if I'm honest :)

Did the same for the wife, she has a longer commute than me and I was expecting icier roads and since she is expecting our first I thought it would be a good idea. So far have held off as there's been no need. Got a used set of wheels and tyres from Germany (it's a 1 series) fairly good price on eBay as opposed to main dealer.

• 9 months later...

Good reading but it's about HGV's and not tin tops! I'd like to see a similar survey for car tyres. It's a non brainer for us. the wife's BMW can't move in snow and ice without winter tyres! Therefore we run them over the winter months. They've done about 3000 miles overs 5 winters and are still at 7mm tread and were cheaper to buy than the summer tyres!

• Like 1

Nearly stuck the winters on the XC60 this weekend , may do next weekend , just because I have them, they are a higher profile and work better in the cold 

Nope... never needed them. The abs is screwed on the Z anyway so sideways is normal.

Can't see the point in the Mrs KA. If she wants then she can have them. That thing drives like a go cart anyway

Had the winters on the van all year because they are a lot cheaper than summer equivalents. They've coped with towing full loads (van full and car with trailer on the back) all summer in the heat with no issues with wear or driving.

Just fitted the winters to the daily again and already noticed how much better they are on the wet and muddy roads round here. I've already tried them in the snow too! :t-up:  They are getting close to the winter wear bars so after this season I'll leave them on to finish them off in the summer. :yes:

Just about to put them on, bit early this year, but somehow suspect this winter isn't going to be good.

Had them on the 5-series, but doubt I'll bother with the Subaru. Both my Imprezas have been fine on Bridgestone RE050s all year round in previous winters :)

Blimey, is it that time of year again?!

Bridgestones were fine in the end as it turned out. This year I'm on Rainsport 3s, again on the Impreza - initial impressions on cold wet mornings (and muddy back-roads) are good. :)

Just considering putting all season tyres on rather than my usual winter ones - very good results for the Goodyear vector's, has anyone used these?

A compromise obviously, but happy to accept this for the tintop.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92863/all-season-tyres-test-20162017-top-all-weather-tyres-tested

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

I do so few miles on the Daily Mondeo that I left them on all year. They did wear a bit faster than expected.

As to if they make a difference?

I would say so.

Two years back when we had some snow round here, I followed an Audi A6 Quattro up the hill out the back of Willersley. 

He didn't make it up the hill, I did.

So I would say they are worth it.

And others have commented, definitely much better on streaming wet roads

• Like 2

For me I was sceptical but after fitting a set several years back they made a big difference. In snow I can simply drive out of our estate. Before I would struggle or have to take a serious run the hill.

They are better on wet greasy roads and I find them really predictable. Just when the temp rises they ware really quick. So I hold off until it gets cold and revert back early spring.. I'm still holding off ..

• Like 1