2016 Speed Series Regulations - Your input please.

Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

Richards idea is pretty much the same as mine but I suggested calculating a TT for classes A-D (assuming classes E-F are allowed to run 1C tyres so will be no different) based upon times achieved on 1Bs next year versus TTs as they stand now and applying the new TTs to the times gained throughout the season at the end of the season for 2016. Class positions wouldn't alter but overall positions might just meaning the overall champion wouldn't be known until after the last event (not really any different to this season)

I am not a fan of not having an overall champion for a year as it would be a slap in the face for someone outside the roadgoing classes if they headed the table at the end of the season

Re: O/A champ

Due to the uncertainty of calc TTS perhaps the O/A champion could be decided by the biggest class winning margin

As long as there were say- 3 competitors doing at least ten events

This would probably favour road going unless the E/G times were adjusted as suggested by Rich tho

but maybe something along this line/

• Like 1

John

You lost me there ............I need another glass of wine!

John

Its easier to describe in voice than words. In simple terms I am suggesting that if the new 1Bs are not as grippy as the ones the TTs were set on, by the end of the season you should be able to calculate by what factor the times are slower by for venues and recalculate the TTs for the road classes that allow only 1Bs and therefore recalculate the points retrospectively at the end of the season. Class positions wont change but overall points might

I don't like calculations. We have facts to deal with!

• Like 1

Re: O/A champ

Due to the uncertainty of calc TTS perhaps the O/A champion could be decided by the biggest class winning margin

As long as there were say- 3 competitors doing at least ten events

This would probably favour road going unless the E/G times were adjusted as suggested by Rich tho

but maybe something along this line/

I thought of this but ruled it out because some classes are so much more competitive than other.

You may as well just have each class champs name put into a hat and the winner pulled out and it would be as fair.

I don't like calculations. We have facts to deal with!

I do too but its not always possible. We have calculated TTs for some classes at circuits already though

How about something similar to the 106e rule we have today.

Fastest westfield on the day gets 100 points and all other points are derived from this.  We have a handicap system for this already.  We just need to revise based on data for the new tyres.  This takes account of changes to circuit conditions and weather etc.

We could have a record time for each event for each class and if you beat the record you get a straight bonus point.

The only risk is what would you do if an event was poorly attended as happened at Shelsley this year.  But I guess so what -- the event is open for all to attend.

John

You always need another glass of wine, Don;t forget to pour me one to. 

Oh hang on if it's target times, think you'd better bring a case  :o  ???  :suspect:

• Like 1

Only half a case left now.  Saving that for the class structure debate!

I really like the "average of the top three times in class" idea, makes the times a more realistic goal. The initially proposed idea of adding a margin to this between 1c and 1b tyres could still be applied eg. Class D target time is an average of the top 3 fastest times, plus say 5% to allow for new 1b tyres. Same would apply to classes A, B and C, or any other class forced to run the new tyres. Then an extra point could be awarded for beating the overall fastest time.

Hi chaps, I have been competing for 2 seasons now getting 3rd last year and first this year. For me the most enjoyable part of the sport is improving and getting faster, it will be disappointing running on 1b tyres, frustrating as well I would imagine. I have invested in a new engine this year which should see me with 200bhp so to run on 1b tyres would be dissapoitimg for me. I know I will be in class g on slicks but can I run them being a novice still? As this is a route I will consider to keep constantly improving on my times and quicker Cornering speeds.

Novices can enter any class Jason.

It's just that A and B are only Novice.

As you won Class A and have done 23 events in the last two years you might no longer be a Novice

Be good to have you in class G but you would need a Hans device

"average of the top three times in class"

I like the idea of this as it stops having to keep going faster to win. However 43% of class/events this year had 1 competitor, 68% 1 or 2 competitors.

I'd prefer to keep to records as the basis of the times, and then have a % reduction when creating targets based on novice / expert and potentially tyre reductions. Its all symantics as it all equates ot the same thing, but I suspect the randomness would be reduced significantly.

The problem with averages is it advantages top drives in classes where there are bigger variations in driver ability.