Sporty car to also tow with

Deanspoors

what do you do work out of interest?

I agree with the above comments about if you find a car that you like that is rated for towing (enough for the westie of course) then it will tow fine

I work as a Systems Engineer for an Oil Company, based in Far East Russia. Work away for 4 weeks, home for 6 sort of job. Has it's ups and downs. I've been so tempted by the M5's but I'm being offered silly money (£31k) for the C63 unfortunately. I'm not too bothered if I don't exchange, so maybe I will post it up for sale privately, if I got around £36k I would be happy to move on. Looking at the C63's a 13 Reg, Coupe, White, 9k Miles, I cannot find another for less than £38k.

One thing to my advantage is that I will be able to buy privately, as I am fortunate enough to not need a finance deal. A lot of car dealerships seem to price the more prestige cars with that in mind that most people will have come to them for finance. Hopefully I can save a little money there, by buying wisely, privately.

Just to throw a curve ball in. I did the PEUGEOT 205 rally championship some years ago. When I needed to tow the 205 I rented a pickup truck for the weekend. That meant I could keep my other car to use every day. I used various company's but I found the more commercial van type renters better and more understanding also they did cheap weekend rental.

My family wagon is a Cayenne GTS that I am considering getting a tow bar fitted to so I can take the Westfield to track days. It has a 4.8 V8 with 405hp so sounds good and goes well (although the weight blunts performance a bit). With the air suspension it handles surprisingly well (almost no body roll) and has 295 section tyres all round so plenty of grip. Just depends on whether you want something SUV sized... The only downside is 12-14mpg in town and ~22mpg on the motorway but the AMG is probably similar in that respect. Might be worth a look?

I work in IT in banking and got covered in oil today working under the land rover and am none the richer :(

• Like 3

I work in IT in banking and got covered in oil today working under the land rover and am none the richer :(

I just bought an old P38 Range Rover and got covered in coolant last night. I'm sure it will be oil today :)

Worth taking a look at jag XFs (although I'm maybe a little biased). If I could have any car in the world as a DD it have to be one of these:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501210313287/sort/atcustom/postcode/cv313dw/radius/1501/make/jaguar/model/xf/page/1/usedcars

They do come in other colours too!

Buy a dry suit from Cleggy and keep the cash and drive the westy to events :-) 

oh yes :d:t-up:

Well I've only gone and done it, deposit down on an M5, 63 Reg, 9k Miles, 1 owner, a 5 years servicing pack, and a few other options.

Thanks, Lewis, for the putting the M5 idea into my head.. I might end up disliking you in a couple years time  :d

Had to be black towing black, now I just have to stomach giving up £1200 for a retrofit towbar kit from BMW...  :( at least it's an electronically retractable one I suppose!  :rolleyes:

bmw-m5-saloon-petrol-7862e17958d8.jpg

bmw-m5-saloon-petrol-5a121e96022d.jpg

bmw-m5-saloon-petrol-5618c06d3cb5.jpg

Nice car. I like the light interior as well.

I was quoted £500 for the tow bar from an independent.

Buy a dry suit from Cleggy and keep the cash and drive the westy to events :-) 

I will probably end up doing this in the interim, but I fully expect something devastating to happen on the track and the requirement of a trailer to get the westy home... plus I am really keen on getting my licence and starting amateur racing so a trailer will help.

Nice car. I like the light interior as well.

I was quoted £500 for the tow bar from an independent.

Thanks :) I have tried several companies Buttercup, but they all provide towbars for all 5 series models, excluding the F10 M5. One company relied saying that the towbar was only available from BMW. Hopefully I can get them down some more.