Sporty car to also tow with

Deanspoors

I'm looking into getting my race licence and racing the Westfield when I can, but the main thing that is stopping me, and in fact stopping me for even going to the local race tracks at the moment is that I can't tow my Westfield there. I currently have a Mercedes C63 Coupe, and I'm contemplating moving on to something else that can tow (the mercedes isn't rated for towing at all) The car will still have to be quick, handle well, no more than 3 year old, and good build quality and around the 40k mark.  ....  any ideas? 

look at the BMW 335D 0-62 in 4.9 and 630NM. That should be plenty to tow the westie. 

my 530d towed superbly well - 535d would be an excellent choice and I didn't have other toys would probably be in one now

the M would be cool if you can afford to run one

Dean, I was looking around for a Tow barge as well and came up with the same problem

Unfortunately the C55, C 63  series Mercs cannot tow, nor can the BMW M5, M4, M3 but the  BM's with an M after the model name can

.    Before you do buy a car call a Towbar fitter and ask them if it will be legally approved.   I bought an Audi Avant S4 and that is approved.  Most of the sporty Audi range can tow but do check first before you buy.

My best tow car was a BMW 330d M Sport tourer but on wet grass and rear wheel drive it was hopeless. Rear wheel drive in ice and snow is also a PITA without the trailer. 

• Like 1

I was quoted over £500 to have a tow fitted on a 525 m sport touring.

As I said, 525M is ok for towing but not the M5.

My best tow car was a BMW 330d M Sport tourer but on wet grass and rear wheel drive it was hopeless. Rear wheel drive in ice and snow is also a PITA without the trailer.

£40k will get you the latest 335d with 313ps 630nm torq and four wheel drive!

I've not driven one personally, but I've seen Subaru's recommended on here before. Or is there possibility of getting a cheap 4x4 for tow/load lugging duties and keeping the C63? That's how I've set my fleet out, a car for each purpose albeit none as nice as a C63 :d

Dean, I was looking around for a Tow barge as well and came up with the same problem

Unfortunately the C55, C 63  series Mercs cannot tow, nor can the BMW M5, M4, M3 but the  BM's with an M after the model name can

.    Before you do buy a car call a Towbar fitter and ask them if it will be legally approved.   I bought an Audi Avant S4 and that is approved.  Most of the sporty Audi range can tow but do check first before you buy.

I've checked up on the new M5, and they are rated to tow. They can be specced with a fancy retractable tow bar from the factory. I'm sort of swaying towards a 13/14 plate M5 now, although it's a bit of a OTT car for a 28 year old.

look at the BMW 335D 0-62 in 4.9 and 630NM. That should be plenty to tow the westie. 

The 335D is another option, but not sure I could lower myself to a diesel just yet :p  the 335D M Sport Xdrive is nice, but not far enough from the price of an M5.

I've not driven one personally, but I've seen Subaru's recommended on here before. Or is there possibility of getting a cheap 4x4 for tow/load lugging duties and keeping the C63? That's how I've set my fleet out, a car for each purpose albeit none as nice as a C63 :d

I did consider it for a short while, but it would mean keeping one car outside, plus it's tax, mot, insurance, servicing for another car. I'd rather just have an all rounder.

My first thought was to downgrade to a mediocre "everyday" car, and then spend the extra money supercharging the Megabusa for the weekends and trackday fun, but I can't bring myself to buy that everyday car :d

If you're in the position to get a newish M5 as a tow car I'd do it. I am also 28 and now hate you  :p

Your all talking about orders of magnitude more expensive cars than I ever plan to own, nor can afford at present.  However what I will vouch for is that anything at all  'sporty' that is legally plated to enough will tow fine including all the petrols, and that while there are random holes including most of the 'M' BMWs most are ok.

I think my next car will be an E46 330 coupe, assuming I can mentally get over not having a tailgate, and still get a bike in the back. I am also 28 in age. 

The current car is a E36 316i compact, and while its weedy 100 horse 8v lump us a bit guttless with a 12ftx6x4 1200kg slab-sided covered trailer, it tows like a dream.

Dam it, clearly doing this wrong!

Daniel