Caterham 7 on Wheeler Dealers tonight

lewis

What an odd programme IMO.

Idea OK but what a price to pay!

That louvered silencer guard was a waste of time and money

Keyless ignition suspect - totally dependent on immobiliser

repaint looked good.

...but then he couldn.t sell it except to a dealer - very strange!

The investment value of a Caterham seems hard to justify IMO - glad I have a Westfield at between a half and a third of the cost. 

My ears danglered up when he said keyless ignition but that's not a great system. I really want to loose my ignition barrel and have a key fob that disarms the immobiliser from inside my pocket then have an engine start button like 

Don't use the keyless immobiliser featured as a guide; I believe it's the Sterling Excel, but I'm starting to think it's a different version to the one you can buy over the counter. As that weird starting method seems to be par for the course on Caterhams, in fact that turn the key and wave the fob technique seems to be how they're told to start the things!

With the Sterling Excel I bought, I have the transponder loop fitted around the ignition barrel, (I'm not bothered about keyless operation), not tightly wrapped like Ed did round the 12V socket, just loose, in its original loop size, secured with tie wraps so it can't move.

I've been really, really pleased with the system. It's 100% invisible in day to day use, with the fob on the key ring, you just put the key in the ignition and start as normal, it disarms as you start (you don't even notice it's there doing anything, unless you happen to be looking at the warning LED). Likewise, turn off and remove the key and a minute or so later you'll see the LED start to blink to tell you it's armed.

The only thing I would say if going keyless, is that you'd probably need to have the antenna ring fairly accurately sited next to your pocket, to pick up the fob, I'm not sure what the range is.

I want a solution where the range is a little bigger between the transponder and receiver, like up to 1m. All the universal keyless systems on eBay require there to be a door to open and close.

I might need to try and make my own RFID system with an Arduino but thats a little too complicated for me.

What an odd programme IMO.

I would love to have Ed China in my garage, he appear to work for that nutter for free.... top man!

Daniel

Fair point, just as a note, though the Sterling Excel has a door (courtesy light) contact, it's not required in day to day use.

The only difference without it, is that the system will time out before arming when the engines switched off. With it, it would arm on opening and closing the door. But as mentioned previously it arms in a minute or two anyway, so not a problem.

Not sure if it would be possible to make a "bigger" antenna to use with it, that had greater coverage.

Otherwise as you say, you're probably into making something. In which case, it might be worth checking if there's any insurance implications, (I doubt it for most of us).

wouldn't an appropriate momentary switch suffice for the door switch (if you want instant arming)?

Yes it would. And I know some do fit one. But as I say, it hardly seems worth it. At my age, I've barely got out of the car before it's timed out and auto armed anyway!

• Like 1

It did seem that they had to force the situation to meet the requirements of the tv program and the format that it uses.

They'd have made more profit just by washing and tidying up the Caterham as it was.

They needed an SV so they they would both fit in it, that's also why they changed the seats and added the lowered floor.

On the whole I must admit I enjoyed the episode. I wonder what our Caterham cousins thought of it....(historically they're not enamoured with Mr Brewer)

The bit that always winds me up are the numbers without Edd's labour etc.  Then to add insult to injury they go and change the tyres out after they've had the test drive and well after they'd done the math. So another £500 I'd say perhaps £150 back for the previous part-worn ones.....!

I did like the keyless ignition although I'm with Lewis in that I'd want a different solution than putting a dongle into a 12v socket for safe keeping. 

I'm sure the tech is out there, just worry what the insurers would say.  Perhaps it's safer with a Thatcham type II system and a switch than with a maestro key???

I thought the show was okay. Thought it was a wrong decsion to change the seats. Also it was a three year car but then registered on a 64 plate? Did they put it thorough an IVA and first reg? Is if so the costs weren't included. I know they don't include labour but that's because they share the profit.

I wondered about the registration/IVA bit as well.. At a glance, it didn't look like it would pass an IVA - would it even have to? Perhaps as a factory car it gets by on LVTA (if that's even a thing any more) and was just registered as if it had been sat in storage?

It certainly looked more appealing to me after they had done the mods. 

I helped build a caterham a while back and when it was finished they just sent a man down to the DVLA office to register it!

I wasn't convinced by the keyless bit, wouldn't really call it a luxury. I agree there could be a better way.

Wasn't overly impressed with the exhaust cover either.

It seemed like they spent a lot of money and then just sold it for the same price the factory were going to sell it for anyway. It did look better when they had finished