the David

Hemsley

That's great news, well done.

congratulations and well done

Thanks for all the thanks!

By the way gadgetman, thanks for your advice on the number plate - the test went exactly the way you described. He checked the size, which I think he knew would be compliant.

Well done - you beat me!!!

So I'm completing the V55/4, and it asks me for the Tax payable. I think I need to look at tax rates for the first year, and need to know the CO2 emissions (g/km) to determine the tax band and rate. It was so much easier when it was based on engine cc!

Can anyone help me work this out please?

Hi No I thought the same but its lower down under PLG Dont know if you have the up to date prices but in april after the budget increase I was £290 (inc the admin fee) if in doubt give kits n rebuilds a quick call and they will talk you through it

hth Gary

Also you can just pay for 6 months tax too if you prefer.

It's hard to be patient, the suns out and the weather is warm and dry. Registration application sent off by special delivery to DVLA, so fingers crossed I'll be road legal in only a few weeks time.

With no excuses I'll certainly be busy, 10 replacement fence panels will be installed, seeds to be planted on the veg patch, hedges to be cut, etc. 

Who was last to apply and how long was the wait?

took them about 2 weeks to process mine, I called and they said it was done , they offered to email me a copy of the letter, got that and my local car shop accepted that and my licence and did my plates :)

Thanks Gary, I'll leave it a week and then try calling them too. Fingers crossed it will be that quick.

I confess that some time ago I worked at DVLA in Swansea for a few years, managing some of the massive IT services which underpin the operation. They're a lovely organisation to work with, and the scale of change and innovation they have been through has only been achieved by close collaboration across Govt and the private sector. I was interested to see the announcement yesterday about the digital driving licence they're developing for IOS (and I assume other smartphone platforms in the future too).

• 2 weeks later...

Today my new registration application was returned REJECTED. There were 2 issues, both perhaps things I could have worked out but don't think there were entirely obvious.

1. Certificate / Declaration of newness was not enclosed.

2. For Petrol Car tax class need CO2 emissions.

So I called the DVLA vehicles team this morning and was fortunate to get through. A very helpful chap named Chris helped me understand the problems.

The certificate / declaration of newness. I needed to complete form V267 to declare that the car is new. I'm sure I looked at this previously and thought that can't be required because I have provided copies of the invoices showing the kit purchase including the new chassis and chassis number, and new engine etc. It looks like this form is for importing a vehicle, as that is what is says in the 2nd section where provide your personal details. He said it was easy for me to download the form, and indeed it was.

Tax class. Although it is a petrol car I should have put tax class PLG. I know that was the tax rate I selected, but I thought clearly it's a petrol car, that must be correct.

Chris suggested I simply correct the original application form, and then post it back along with a note explaining what I have done. Because they have already looked at the application he said it would be processed within 10 days.

So I hope everything is now in order. I took the forms back to the post office, with a new return envelope and paid up for the special delivery.

Hopefully it will all be correct this time and the new registration is just a few days away.

Fingers and everything else crossed for you.

You must be itching to get out and about.