Oh dear...

Kingster

Autodata says it is an interference engine. Describes it as 'most likely' to suffer damage if belt fails. :(

@Stu, phew....................... I didn't think Honda's broke  :yes:

@ Chris, most google results I've seen suggest it to be an non interference engine!

fingers, crossed. How many rev's approx was it at when it broke?

about 4k i'd say

Autodata says it is an interference engine. Describes it as 'most likely' to suffer damage if belt fails. :(

Booo

@ Chris, most google results I've seen suggest it to be an non interference engine!

Yay!

We shall see who wins...

I thought the Pinto was the last Ford non interference engine in Westfield circles?

I see what you mean with Google - seems to suggest they've got extra deep valve pockets to accommodate valves at full extension.

have you tried turning it over by hand and feeling for clashes?

Not yet Dave, will be investigating tomorrow. Probably put a borescope down the plug 'oles.

• Like 1

As I understand it European Zetecs are interference, U.S. are non-interference - therefore be careful buying cams etc from the the U.S.

Sorry to here this, not good.

The Zetec in my Zero was a new crate engine and I have done 8500 mile in 3 years in it. However, as the engine was originally built in 2004 ( or so we think) I have just had the belt changed, for peace of minds sake!

• Like 1

Yep - just back in, AA man was uber quick luckily as I'd left the house unlocked while popping round the corner for a quick shakedown run.

Only myself to blame - I looked at the cambelt in my hand (after changing oil pump) and though "hmm, maybe I should put a new one on while I am on". But didn't - cos I are mostly a muppet.

Famous last words!

Might not have done much good if you'd put on a new belt, as it's usually the water pump, tensioner or pulleys that fail and take out the belt.

Might not have done much good if you'd put on a new belt, as it's usually the water pump, tensioner or pulleys that fail and take out the belt.

Ah I see. Will find out more tomorrow. Learning all the time :)

Well, I can now categorically confirm that the 2.0 silvertop zetec is indeed an interference engine - as there's plenty of evidence looking down the bores with a scope.

Decision time:

1. Remove head and fix/swap

2. Shove another Silvertop in

3. Put in the ST170 engine that is lying in the garage.

While option 3 appeals, I was planning on fitting this engine later along with a few other upgrades etc. so not sure if it is ideal at this moment in time - plus I have just had the silvertop mapped, so that time and money would be wasted.

If option 3 is taking you off for road for the few days of British summer option 2 is the best bet. With your best man maths, the spare engine should have a cambelt already on it which would offset the cost of the engine :d

2 (if your current engine was standard)

Yep std engine - so 2 is defo the best bet - time to find one I guess.

Here's my old cambelt - ouch!

IMG_20150808_134557127.jpg