Chris Evans confirmed as new Top Gear Presenter

TAFKARM

gets my thumbs up :t-up: :t-up:

So, replace one egotistical bully with another. Still at least he's not likely to go off the rails, oh, wait...  ;)  :oops:

I actually like Chris on his radio show, and I'm glad they found at least one car enthusiast, but for some reason the thought of that type of program with him at the helm worries me. The co-anchor mix will be absolutely critical I think.If it's Chris plus Posse, I'm probably out. If they get a good mix, it could be interesting. 

I'm confused Dave. What makes you think Chris Evans is a bully? Do you also think he'll have the lady that does the travel from Radio 2 and the chap who does the sport? Otherwise what posse could he bring? He has at least done the going off the rails thing already. If anything he's erring toward the boring side now!

Suspect Chris will get a handy steer from his mate Jeremy but he isn't enough to carry the thing on his own. I'm not sure May and Hammond would come back with him and it would feel a little odd (for a while at least).

Have you heard the way he'll occasionally really go at some of the blokes on the breakfast show? (Fairs fair, never heard him doing it to any of the woman on the show). But he's consistently done it with any of the men that co-host with him for more than a few months.

Granted he'll do it in a very passive aggressive way, but you can hear the discomfort of all others present over the air waves. I wouldn't say it's a weekly thing, but then I don't get to listen as much as i used to do. In your school days it would have been called "picking-on".

In terms of posse, I wouldn't for one moment expect them to bring the Radio lot over, why on earth would they, it worries me that they might try and create a fresh such arrangement around him.

My personal opinion of Chris, and don't forget I did say, I generally like his R2 show, is that he's at his best when surrounded by strong equals that will give as good as they get. 

But my main point was that I ope they try and put together a team with t least some journalistic ability, rather than just trying to artificially come up with something for Chris to bounce off.

• Like 1

Who's going to join him as the new team, no mention of Hammond or May on BBC news. After watching TFI Friday last week, my bet is Jason Plato.

I shall reserve judgement until I see the end product, but it's going to have to be pretty good to get me to stick with it long term with CE at the helm - he's far less of a twit than his early days, but not my fav celebrity for the same reasons Dave gives.  The format was already tired and it needs a reboot, not just new hosts.  Three year contract as well? Hmmmm.  At least some very talented people will get back to work making it with the new presenters.

I want to enjoy it, I really do, and I will give it a fair shake, but part of me wishes they had just let it die.  I'm guessing CE just fell off JC's Christmas card list.

Evans will do the next couple of years then Jezza will have served his time then take it back after ratings have plummeted. Hope I'm wrong but that's what I see. It said today May and Hammond offered 1 million pound contract, if that's a year they will be with Mr Evans for sure. What's the bet Jezza comes back on first series as the star in reasonably priced car? Sally Traffic as the stig!

Scott, if you were more like my age you'd have been enjoying last Friday's 90s nostalgia fest that was the '20th' anniversary of TFI Friday. One section of which was Chris in his (probably) LaFerrari with Jeremy seeming to give lessons on how to do a Clarkson style review. So guessing that was a bit of a hint for all of us and perhaps an endorsement?

There will be other channels available........ :o

I think Chris Evans is okay, but it will not be the same and that is a shame. He has confirmed he will not give up the Radio two show so we can say good bye to the road trips I suspect.

Unfortunately will they now be ticking the PC boxes, Main anchor, ginger haired white male, check. Now all they need is a gay female single mother and a black gay guy and it will be perfect in BBC land.

One thing about Evans is he has changed since he grew up after his Billy Piper days. Now a father, grandfather happily married and one who has done more for charity using his own cars and pub and time than any other person.

He has championed literacy with the 500 words story competition that has captured the imagination of many kids in the last few years, so as a man up there with the best.

I hope I am wrong on Top Gear but I do fear its glory days are over.  

I have mixed feelings "at the moment" towards the new show and it's presenters "who ever they may be" but I'm prepared to give it a fair crack of the whip and see how things pan out, it always reminds me of how sad you are initially when things change and it's no longer the same faces, an example of this is when some of the cast that were in Last of the Summer Wine sadly passed away and had to be replaced, it just didn't seem right when you saw new faces appear because you still looked forward to seeing the same old guys, Compo, Clegg, and Foggy and I don't think IMHO it will ever be the same with Top Gear, like them or hate them, they were without a doubt entertaining, so as I said I will give it a fair crack of the whip and if it doesn't do it for me then so be it, there's always Coronation Street and if she puts that on it's D.I.V.O.R.C.E ......luckily for me her indoors hates soaps.

Anyway more important than Top Gear - who'll be taking over the breakfast show on Radio 2??

That's what's got me most curious Russ; as Chris has stated he's going to do both. TG in its old format was a huge time heavy enterprise for its stars to produce. The breakfast show, while not quite so bad, still isn't to be underestimated. Płus as Jeff mentioned earlier, he's settled down to a decent family life now, with a count family at that, whom away from the TV/radio, he seems to genuinely love spending lots of time with.

Its hard to see how he could possibly put the hours in that they had to on Top Gear 2.0 without something giving. Does that mean either Top Gear 3.0 will be a very different format, or does that mean his role within it isn't what we think?

As someone else I read put in the last 24 hours, it's like finding out who the next Doctor Who is and thinking meh, I'll give them a try; watch them for a bit, then think, how could anyone else ever have had the part?

Hopeful, but not (yet) optimistic!