Lifting ramps at Stoneleigh

Stuart

Well chaps, I have looked at this and done a good deal of head scratching and vector diagram drawing. Put simply, the jacks need to be larger capacity than they are because the static load on the start of the lift on the jack rams is nearer 4000kg than 2000kg assuming a 1500kg car with 50:50 weight distribution needing a lift of 400kg per ramp. I haven't tried to lift the front of my X-Type yet but it did lift the front of the S2000 easily and if the error really were a factor of two then even that would have over stressed the jacks - it didn't. In fact with the very short pumping lever you're given (shorter than standard) it really wasn't hard to lift at all. 

I am not prepared to spend the time needed calculate the fall-off of force as the ramps open up (it gets to a very low figure when it nears full extension due to the change in geometry) because not only am I too lazy (and probably unable too) but as JohnK said it will fail only while nobody is under it because it will go phutt during lifting, not once it's up. I am reasonably happy with the strength of the structure - big bolts and heavy welds where needed - it was only the jack capacity that bothered me a little. If you see an obituary of me soon, then I am over optimistic!  :(

ETA:- Mine have 4 tonne jacks so I am obviously do-lally! Nice to know my calcs were not too far wrong though.

NDT used to stand for Non Destructive Testing.

Its just been renamed Not Dead Testing...

And for one I'm not going to ask for first dibs on his Westie as it will have fell of the ramps (on onto him) so will probably need some work done..!

Hose the blood off and away you go! :d

I suppose it will have had a soft landing...