Stoneleigh 2015 - The feedback thread

Andy Banks

I'm not sure how accurate an impression it is, but it does feel like the "For Sale" area has really tailed off in the last few years. Perhaps steadily killed off by the Internet? May be a good time to use the space for something else next year...

I had a fantastic first time at the show although other than grabbing a bottle of water (greatly appreciated) and an aeroscreen I kept a very low profile. I don't know anyone from the club, I would have liked to have volunteered but with having the misses in toe it wasn't really fair on her. Next year I shall be ditching her, volunteering and camping overnight.

I feel like the WSCC easily had the best setup there. Although it definitely felt like "walking in through the back door" from the halls and drift area. A large banner is needed IMO, not necessarily a run up of cars. Indeed it may be better to leave most cars out back to draw people through the marquee first.

I was hoping to find out more information about the SS, so an area specifically dedicated to that (perhaps where the TV could be integrated) would have been helpful for me at least.

In a similar vein to the noise meter, would a mobile rolling road be a possibility?

There was an area For Sale? Was that opposite the drift experience along the edge? If so, there was afaik nothing indicating the cars there were up for sale...

Kyle

There was a Speed Series car in the Hall display.

And mine with No54 on was in the Marque Saturday (& outside on drift side till 1030 Monday) with me in attendance in my SS tshirt 90% of the time. Spoke to most who looked over my car (& knackering it was answering all the queries)

Agree that SS could have been more clearly indicated and detauled though.

pm me if you'd like any info, happy to talk you (or anyone else) through my initial forrays and experience of competing.

I can remember at least two lots of people wanting to look at cars for sale and there was only one on Sunday and maybe three or four on Monday.  Position of the cars for sale and the marquee just fine in my view.  The marquee must be welcoming and near the road IMO.  The Caterham one by contrast was as far away from the road as possible and made the whole Caterham experience even more exclusive.

The cars for sale area wants 'packaging' in a better way and members should be encouraged to bring them along.  The market is there.

The same goes for the Speed Series.  Perhaps the local areas could arrange and put say 3 or 4 of them on one side of the marquee.  Needs some taped barriers to keep the public at a respectful distance.  By contrast, I think the road-going cars should encourage people to touch 'n feel,  look at them in detail, allow children and their parents to have a sit etc. and to dream of owning one.

It would be difficult to move the marquee. We did move it good 20ft back for this year to give more room for cars between us and the drift, think that might be the limit as there are as Dave says electric and water services dotted about.

A few more cars up front for next year (like Mnday but more) plus we could do some A3 for sale signs to attach to cars and do away with the area being designated as cars for sale for next year?

I did see the water service next to the large banner at the end of the central car parade. Perhaps the marquee could be moved back away from the drift experience such that the water service was on the front corner (as opposed to behind it)? This would put the marquee away from the drift experience by about 25 feet, and give additional space to the side of the marquee facing the drift experience for some more cars and banners to entice people in.

I'm considering getting a tattoo artist in next year so members who wish to do so can have their names and forum nicknames tattooed on their foreheads.  This will be costly at first but means the number of badges and labels we have to produce and the cost every year will go steadily down.

Any volunteers? ;)

• Like 4

As many have said a very well organised show so hats off to all. 

Could there be more integration between the WSC and WSCC? Could they not have a stand within the marquee to chat to owners and even sell a few parts and in exchange the WSCC are present on their stand? After all a big part of building/owning a Westfield is the 'club' part of it which WSC cannot provide. 

How about a 'tech talk' corner where someone with a good knowledge of WF's (aka a Gadgetman et al.) could be on hand to answer questions regarding all things Westfield. Its popular on this forum so might be in the marquee.

• Like 1

From a trader's perspective, it was another fantastic show and was great to meet alot of you from here. It's always a crying shame I never get a chance to go out and see the outside marquee and the Westfield Avenue! 

A bit of feedback from myself. Due to it been a bit of a trek down from up north I can arrive fairly late in the day on the Saturday to setup, would it be possible for there to be a sign to say where I need to be setting up, as I appreciate by the time I arrive there might not be the relevant person in the know on where I need to be setup.

Also every year I camp on site, normally within the members area. This year it was boxed off and as I camp in the back of the hire van normally I and the guys who come and help me ended up camping elsewhere. Most year's I tend to make an appearance in the marquee, all be it for not to long, being on your feet all day talking to you lot knackers you out quite alot and I'm getting old now! With been camped elsewhere this year it was a bit of trek so didn't make the effort, which is a shame as we do have a drinking reputation to uphold!

The name badges are great, so anyway of getting more of these would be superb, if someone want's to contact me with regards to sponsoring this in some way then please let me know.

Other than that, I've got to say the Westfield club put's on a tremondous show and I'm very proud to have been a member of the club for all of these years!! (I believe I've been involved with Westfields now for over half my life time now!)

• Like 3

Could there be more integration between the WSC and WSCC? Could they not have a stand within the marquee to chat to owners and even sell a few parts and in exchange the WSCC are present on their stand? After all a big part of building/owning a Westfield is the 'club' part of it which WSC cannot provide.

it may not be that easy unfortunately. As the WSCC is a club we receive our outside pitch for free and likewise our space in the halls. WSC along with all other companies and traders have to pay for their pitch whether inside or outside. Whist I agree with your ideas it could potentially carry a significant cost implication to the club if we were seen to be trading from our club stand.

I'm considering getting a tattoo artist in next year so members who wish to do so can have their names and forum nicknames tattooed on their foreheads. This will be costly at first but means the number of badges and labels we have to produce and the cost every year will go steadily down.

Any volunteers? ;)

Surely the Chairman should lead by example.... ;)

well 1st stoneliegh show attended and over . my stepson and i had a fantastic time , we met loads of westy owners and club members who were all very easy to talk to and happy to impart lots of knowledge and experience . To andy ,ian and all the others involved many thanks for a great time and warm welcome we will see you next year but hopefully before .

(I believe I've been involved with Westfields now for over half my life time now!)

man and boy lol

Interesting points about moving the marquee. There are a number of underground services in the immediate area of plot 53 (which is our plot) therefore we need to have a ground survey before the marquee is erected - there are underground drains, water pipes, fibre optic cables, telephone cables etc - all of which run through the plot on their way out towards the main entrance.

It would be a nice idea to move the marquee, but not practical.

I do agree we need to make more of the Cars for Sale area, or bin the idea and use the area for something else. We also need to invest in a big banner that would be placed on the drift side of the marquee saying "Welcome to WSCC" - it would make that end feel like the entrance then. Re-arranging the interior to suit is an easy task.

It would be good to get more of the Speed Series cars next year - maybe outside the marquee by the drift area - full public view, with members talking to the public about them?

Surely the Chairman should lead by example.... ;)

Yep, I'll be happy to tattoo anyone, starting with you! :d