Comments on Spec before ordering

Dan76

Honestly if I started again it would be s2000.

Already secretly planning my next build and guess what? S2000. Just don't tell the wife!

• Like 1

Haha just had the conversation with the wife, ended with "well if you enjoy building so much, just get another when this one is finished... "

Oh dear...

• Like 1

If you build it along the same lines as the factory you will get a current plate.

Honestly if I started again it would be s2000.

Already secretly planning my next build and guess what? S2000. Just don't tell the wife!

You wait until you drive yours on the open road.

You won't be disappointed.

You wait until you drive yours on the open road.

You won't be disappointed.

Oh I know that Stu!

Just that I always fancied an S2000 for that screamer of an engine, so having one in a Westie should have been the route for me, but finances and the fact that I had a full Sierra donor package tipped things the other way.

There's always options in the future though - and I am very happy with what I have!

Certainly not got pockets deep enough for a new S2000 engine thats for sure. I'll already need to massage the final build cost figures to keep the missus happy.

The complexity of that S2000 engine just worries me a bit, the Zetec looks prehistoric campared to it.

I shouldn't worrie about the complexity of the engine, honda's build quality is excellent. As far as costs I've built mine for circa 15000 and could have been less.

Depending upon your pocket depth, there are new ones to be had for less than 5k

http://www.nengun.com/spoon/honda-s2000-new-engine

Thats a bare engine though, you're then going to need all the induction*, water pump, alternator, starter, belt tensioner, VTEC solenoid, Coil on Plugs,  sensors, pulleys, thermostat, oil heat exchanger, wring harness plugs, flywheel, clutch, gearbox, plus sundry brackets, bolts and small hoses/pipes.

Although there are some costs to be saved in there, it's still going to add up, I can also tell you that to paint my engine, I stripped it down externally to the same level as that block, (with the exception of flywheel and crank pulley, which stayed in place), the cost, at a discount, of OEM gaskets etc to put it all back came to around the £500 mark by the time I'd finished!

Mind you, for what you get, for a brand new engine, there's no doubt that is a fantastic price, and compared to rebuild costs it's a no brainer if you already have the other parts. If money is no object, it's true it would also be a fantastic way to build a Mega S2000.

*That doesn't necessarily mean Honda induction either; you could go for Jenvey throttle bodies, a lightweight Denso alternator, electric water pump etc, and save both weight and the hassle of getting original Honda bits. Then again, if you need the Honda bits, there are people that have done the Jenvey/Denso/EWP mod that have the bits spare...

I shouldn't worrie about the complexity of the engine, honda's build quality is excellent. As far as costs I've built mine for circa 15000 and could have been less.

Honda's build quality is legendary for a reason, and it stands out in every detail of the engine (and gearbox, of course!)

Hmmmmm, well yes, you could build one for less, of course. But to do it for significantly less, I suspect you would find there would be consequences later on. With decent second hand parts in key areas twelves ish grand is probably reasonable, especially if it's a more stripped out track car. But don't forget you are building what back in the early 2000's when I started building my last car, would have been amongst the highest power four cylinder Westfields before you got to the almost money no object race/sprint cars and turbo cars. So some things, you don't want to economise too much on!

But the thing to be aware of, although it may not concern you at all, is that unlike a standard multi donor SEi, which is pretty much a blank slate to do with what you will, the Mega S2000 is, like the old Speedsport and Speedsport Carbon before it, a distinct Westfield model. When it comes to selling, buyers will expect to see certain things, if only 'cause everything they see about the Mega S2000 tells them that! Go (like me) to far from the norm, and you will affect saleability somewhat! (And no, I wasn't highly bothered either!)

Actually, just been thinking about ways to save building costs - I tend to automatically add around £2.5k for the engine/box, but one way a few builders have used to significantly reduce that, Sycho mentions it, is to buy a running S2000 and break it for parts yourself, that way you can bring the cost of the engine and box way, way down! That could knock another £1500/2000 off the total spend.