Trailer Wanted

B.RAD

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it as this is new territory for me. My issue isn't capacity to move the trailer, it's the physical space to get the trailer onto my drive and into the garage. I live down an unpaved road which is fenced farmland along one side and houses t'other. It creates an effective 'T' meaning I have no space to reverse a car and trailer onto the drive. It's a squeeze just reversing a car on.

A chat with a fellow member yielded the suggestion of a trailer with movers so it could rotate almost on the spot. Pwermovers I believe they're called (not spelt wrong!).

So while I had thought about winching the trailer in etc, it's the rotation more than the incline that's a problem, IYSWIM.

An unladen 4 wheel minno with no vehicle on it will move almost in its own length but when you add a car its not possible without a lot of help and without excess weight on the jockey wheel. Caravan movers as you describe make it much easier. Never used one but seen you tube view of remote controllers.

I considered a trailer mover but got put off either by price, bad reviews or having to order from the US and then spares from the US when they break.  Another option is a dolly which is manual but allows turns in tight spaces and generally makes moving easier by giving you more leverage.

I was going to give this one a go because the reviews I found seem pretty good and it's not too expensive (and it's british).

http://tugco.co.uk

I reckon that Martin could make you one of these in a couple of hours and probably sell them to others ... ;-)

• Like 2

That looks heavy, needs one of Luke's Lipo batteries on it  :d  :d  :d

• Like 1

for this weight is good ... but don't worry Barney can organise the battery ;-)

I put a motor mover on my caravan, and putting it on the drive is so much easier, but you need a battery, and most are designed to clamp onto an Alko chassis (which you're not allowed to drill) so may not fit a Brian James.  Twin axle vans usually have two sets fitted, as its difficult turning them.  I have my doubts that one that fits into the tow hitch would get enough traction, and they appear to have been ignored by caravanners.

It may not work so well on uneven ground but the guy I bought my track wheels from had attached a jockey wheel to the rear corners meaning it was essentially a big three wheeled shopping trolley.

Another thing worth considering is that a single axle trailer is apparantly more manouverable that a twin axle trailer, in terms of being able to turn on a spot.  I have no direct experience but read this.

The trade off is that a twin axle can carry more weight.

Another thing worth considering is that a single axle trailer is apparantly more manouverable that a twin axle trailer, in terms of being able to turn on a spot.  I have no direct experience but read this.

The trade off is that a twin axle can carry more weight.

Though many twin axle owners get round this, by just winding the jockey wheel down a bit further and lifting the front wheels off the ground, turning it, (temporarily) into a three wheeler!

Single axle trailers are much easier to move about, both by hand and with a vehicle.

I borrowed a twin axle some time ago and it was a nightmare to reverse it onto the drive, my last two trailers have been single axles and I can back on in one move all the way into garage, lock up and drive away.

Twin axles can be more stable, if you have a puncture on one axle you can normally limp on, and generally load will be higher.

I have a post 1997 license too, so twin axles were out purely on a weight basis.

+1 for the single axle woodford lightweight

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.