Trailer advice

Young Pretender

Mine on the Minno not the best picture 

Heading to SKC

Thanks folks - I've decided it's too small regardless of whether a westy squeezes in or not.  It will be used to dry store the car so I would really benefit from some extra space and also rear loading doors as opposed to a hinged clam shell (if that's the right terminology).

Just read that spec..... 800Kg load ??? I know your Westie won't be anywhere near that BUT if the plate on your firewall (just like mine that is 900kg by default)  says more than that and VOSA give you the once over I reckon it'll cost you.

Nem..........

Sorry Nem, I'm not sure I follow.  Interested to understand though, even though I'm not pursuing this trailer?

Anyone have any experience with PRG trailers?  They do one called the Tracsporter which is a similar spec to a BJ Sprint Shuttle.  

I'm not sure they look as nice but wondering if they tow ok.  The local BJ supplier doesn't even list PRG trailers.

Thanks folks - I've decided it's too small regardless of whether a westy squeezes in or not.  It will be used to dry store the car so I would really benefit from some extra space and also rear loading doors as opposed to a hinged clam shell (if that's the right terminology).

Sorry Nem, I'm not sure I follow.  Interested to understand though, even though I'm not pursuing this trailer?

On the firewall of your Car near the Pedal box should be an axle weight plate, most of them have default values that are far higher than the actual weight of the car, hope that helps.

Nem.....

• Like 1

Just to clarify what Nem has advised, the weight of the Westfield taken by the authorities to check that you are legal will be the maximum gross weight of the Westfield - which is 900kg - regardless of the fact that it is not loaded and doesn't weight anything like it.

Similarly if would be illegal if you tow an empty trailer with the maximum gross load weight of 1500kg if your tow car has a 1200kg limit.

• Like 1

Shame the trailer was not suitable.

Wouldn't like the "hinged clam shell", as you so aptly put it, to be caught by a sharp gust of wind, while it was in the open position!

If DVSA as it is now inspect you for overloading they can only prosecute on actual vehicle/ train weight and not maximum permissible mass. They often have weight plates at their point of inspection or will direct you to a local weigh bridge for weighing. Beware if you passed your car test after January 1997 as you have a lower threshold.

Similarly if would be illegal if you tow an empty trailer with the maximum gross load weight of 1500kg if your tow car has a 1200kg limit.

Pete that's not correct, yes it applies to Caravans with a MTPLM plate but not trailers. With trailers it's all about not exceeding the gross train weight.

My brother who is a motoring journalist wrote a piece in conjunction with VOSA on that very subject I'll try to upload it.

Yes have a caravan and didnt realise it doesnt apply to trailers.

Thanks for the correction.

Yep like you I tow both the laws are a nightmare to understand, brother had great fun doing the article.

I have the article in PDF but don't know how to make it available to everybody.

• Like 1

If you email it to me cheshire@wscc.co.uk I'll put a post up in the FAQ with a link to it Barry, so people can download a copy to view.

• Like 1

You can download the article from the FAQ, here