Any runners out there? Advice

Deanspoors

Thanks for all the positive advice guys! Good to see plenty of other people attempting to keep fit too. So a nice relaxed run for me next time, which is a relief I must say. The worst bit about doing a long run on a treadmill is getting bored, hopefully when I get home, and over to Australia in January I'll have a bit of scenery to keep me on track.

With regards to the medic, I work on a Russian rig and his idea of treatment for pretty much anything is either vitamin tablets or spray on anti-bacterial formula so I'd rather trust strangers on the internet :d

• Like 1

I always laugh at the keep fitters who drive to the club then park right next to the entrance to save energy. God forbid they would never dream of running there or walking to the entrance. Maybe they would get the lycra wet. I was a long term welfare rep whilst offshore and used to get requests every year for mirrors in the gym, Bless. I stopped using it when I was following a guy on the running machine who being a bit of a boxer was merrily blowing his snot all over the place, not my idea of hygienic. God knows where it landed and I wasn't hanging around to mop it up, still makes me heave now.

Bob :barf:

... for looking at the hottie next to you / in the background?

(Public service announcement: This post is non gender specific)

A bit o/t but I just bought some new runners as my old'ns were causing me blisters - the new one's give me blisters in different places but do look nice :)  Seems finding a decent pair of runners is a bit of a chance!

A friend (yes I have a few) told me years ago that the first time he drove past a runner who looked like he/she was enjoying it he would get out and join them. Neither he or I have joined them yet, they all look to be in agony and or near to death.

...and two, because my girlfriend has, and there's some sort of manly urge to make sure she doesn't get fitter then me.. trouble is time is on her side, she's 22 and can run 10km in 50 minutes. I'm almost 28, and struggling to run 5km in 24 minutes

Being unfit is depressing!

I can emphasis a lot, I expect I have been the less fit of the two of us for some time, but was always fairly active as a child and then through school and uni, but the desk job did that no favors, then I was sent to India for 8 months which totally stuffed me as I didnt have my bike, wasnt doing half the other things I used to, and to top it off it was so stinking hot you bearly even walked anyway without getting a rickshaw or the like. I then came back and tried to do what I had been doing before on weekends and couldn't, but also kept pulling muscles and the like as they where so much weaker.

Joined the works Gym which was my first time ever using a gym, they gave me a basic assessment, and a basic program consisting of warming up on the cardio machines (cross trainer or bike) doing some work on the weights machines, 12 reps, three times, increase the weight such that you can just about do it, or maybe do 12+12+10. And then normally a bit more cardio, maybe rowing or tread mill. Went 2-3 times and there was a change in what I could do and how I felt.

I am 27, fwiw.

Daniel

The worst thing about getting running for is finding out how well it carries across the the swim and bike when you want to do triathlons. Doh!

My experience of being run fit was that it did nothing for my swim or cycling times.

Not much help for working on a rig but I love mountain biking as a way to stay fit - gives great access into the hills / mountains and there is usually a great fun reward following the hard work of climbing unlike in fell running or hill walking.

I'm not a gym person - training/ playing in the great outdoors wherever possible.

Not much help for working on a rig but I love mountain biking as a way to stay fit - I'm not a gym person.

Also this! Mainly downhill mountain biking...