Exhausted

Quinten

What clearance does that give you between the bottom of the silencer and the ground? It obviously depends on your manifold, but when I went to a larger diameter silencer, when I had a link pipe made I also had it stepped up. This put the bottom of the silencer at the same height as the floor.

I did check it over and the silencer is pretty much aligned with the bottom of the car... so no clearance issues that I could see

Final update  :yes:

Couldn't sleep last night (gale force winds keeping us awake) and started to think that the proposed S shape would look awkward, and that it may be a better idea to cut/weld the end of the manifold so that the link pipe could be used as normal.  So when I popped round to the outfit that was going to do the work I discussed it with him and to him it made sense but that meant I had to take the manifold off for the work.

I left the car and walked home to get my tools and when I returned I started to disassemble the manifold again.  Now cast your mind back to this thread where one bolt broke in the manifold and it took me ages to remove it and re-tap the thread?  Well, the same bolt (new bolt!) would only undo a couple of turns before stopping in its track  :cry:

A helpful garage nearby with a portable blowtorch (his are all connected to the wall, so could not be used) heated up the bolt/manifold and finally it came out.  Something to fix later!

Manifold off and marked and an hour later I returned when they called me to say it was finished.   Put the manifold back on and aligned the exhaust...  only to then discover the newly added bend was too sharp and that the mount was about 2cm removed from the bobbin.  Doh  :down:

I then decided that it would probably now be easier to cut the link pipe at the existing bend and 10 minutes later the job was jobbed  :yes:

2015-03-31+15_26_30.jpg

2015-03-31+15_26_43.jpg

2015-03-31+15_27_00.jpg

2015-03-31+15_27_18.jpg

The finish on the welds could have been better, but as the whole section will be heatwrapped at a later date, it matters not much.

A big thanks to

2015-03-31+14_01_26.jpg