Blood test, KO faint, what a big girls blouse...

John K

My wife has problems with circulation and is a nightmare for blood tests. If you can find a vein, which is rare, it collapses as soon as a needle goes in. She then faints.

Last winter she had a suspected blood clot in her finger and they needed to take some blood samples.

Without going into too much detail, a nurse, a doctor and an anaesthetist all had a go and failed.

They feed up taking the blood from an artery in her thigh. Needless to say she fainted.

The (somewhat unkind ) thought occurs that one day someone may possibly weigh you in for scrap  :)

You'd not get much I'm afraid and I also thought I'd set off airport scanners but only happened once, might be titanium in there, not sure.

You make me so glad I took my M8's advice and never flew one. He did it for a couple of years and said the problem was he felt he was getting overconfident with it. He quit after having just taken off from a friends field and flown under a power line with his Mrs in order to take off. The next day he thought about what he had done and put it straight up for sale.  :o  :oops:

Yep, I'm a fainter as well. Not always, and no idea why. Had a batch of tests recently, 3 out of 4 I was 100%..... Like most people I suppose, I've seen plenty of my own blood over the years, as well as bits that shouldn't see the light of day under normal circumstances, accidentally inserted all manner of things that shouldn't be inserted into people (no, not like that!! I mean sharp objects, bits of glass, nails, screws, assorted tools puncturing assorted bits of my skin), stabbed myself, sliced myself, burnt myself, bounced myself of solid objects at bubious speeds etc etc. Used to do martial arts and would often cover about 90% of my body in large and deep bruises, never bothered me at all.

The thought of the test doesn't bother me whatsoever. The thought I might faint like a huge great ******* whuss, now that's starting to wind me up. Last time I offered to do bookings for when they have a trainee in.

I have a mate who is so terrified of the idea he can't bear to do it - runs away, litterally. Posed a propblem when he got infected with TB recently.

My missus passed out at home when we were about to do a DIY cholesterol test....but she's fine with jabs etc.

I think it's just plain weird and totally beyond your control. Had a trip to A&E a wee while back and had some bloods taken. Doctor had to use my wrist as both elbows previously used that day and she warned me it would be unlpeasant - no idea why, it was fine, as was I on that occasion. She said I must be over it if I could take that one OK. She was wrong, sadly. Seems that if you are prone to Vasovagal Snycope, you are stuck with it - it's just the way you are wired up.

• Like 1

... inserted all manner of things that shouldn't be inserted into people...

Is it allowed to gratuitously misquote people very much out of context? I really hope so, because that phrase is gold dust.

The nurse taking my blood bless her, is only a slip of a thing, so when I zonked out as a dead weight she could not do any thing.

She must have asked for help from anybody in the practice and one of those said people was one of the lady doctors.

And she is utterly lovely... So it was extremely confusing to wake up, with no knowledge of why I had been asleep to literally see a beautiful woman kneeling over me, holding my hand...

I was extremely confused for a while, very happy, but still confused...

I have to get blood tests done on an all-too regular basis since 2004, so generally about 6 or more per year.  Only nearly fainted once, and that's because the lady doing it was utterly useless.  I felt like a pin cushion, she took that long to find a vein.  By the time she did, the arm band restricting blood flow had been on for 15 minutes (the probable cause).  I got hot and very light-headed and immediately knew I had to do something, so just said "excuse me, I'm going to faint" and laid down on my back on the nice cool floor and put my feet up on the chair.  I thought she was going to have a panic attack, and wouldn't stop apologising (1 or 2 "sorry"s is plenty thanks, I don't need 14).

But no, I don't watch the blood coming out, although it wouldn't bother me.  I could probably paint a barn with someone else's blood.  It does bother me if it's an injury of mine, though.  Cut my left hand open accidentally a few weeks ago when my hand saw jumped on a knot in the wood and caught me, lots of blood and quickly.  Ran in, wrapped my hand in a clean wet cloth and put pressure on it...while laying down on the floor (again).  When the crisis passed, off to A & E in a more stable state.

I spent 3 months in hospital a few years back after a mycotic aneurism. I had to get daily blood tests for the first 2 months. I think they used to send the trainees to have a go a finding a vein. They hate to see me in the doctors now.

Is it allowed to gratuitously misquote people very much out of context? I really hope so, because that phrase is gold dust.

The nurse taking my blood bless her, is only a slip of a thing, so when I zonked out as a dead weight she could not do any thing.

She must have asked for help from anybody in the practice and one of those said people was one of the lady doctors.

And she is utterly lovely... So it was extremely confusing to wake up, with no knowledge of why I had been asleep to literally see a beautiful woman kneeling over me, holding my hand...

I was extremely confused for a while, very happy, but still confused...

Happy to line them up ;)

I always warn anyone likely to stick a needle in me that I am prone to fainting - seems the decent thing to do really even though it is damned embarassing. The last one was a trainee, and although she struggled to get any blood out of the vein, it didn't hurt or even feel of anything much. It all went dark as the experienced guy started looking on the other arm for a likely candidate. Perhaps my brain objected to two at once.

As you say, it's that 'how did I get here'...and 'where is here'.... and 'who are these people' feeling, as well as the 'damn, I was really enjoying that nap, leave me alone'

I spent 3 months in hospital a few years back after a mycotic aneurism. I had to get daily blood tests for the first 2 months. I think they used to send the trainees to have a go a finding a vein. They hate to see me in the doctors now.

I don't think I'd do too well in that situation!  I'd ask them to put a bl**** tap in I think.

Scott, I'm a huge fan of superglue for that sort of thing. Sliced my leg open with a Stanley knife some time back, quick squirt of superglue, change of trousers for a pair not covered in blood and back to work.

I am quite surprised at how many folk get regular tests, I'm starting to think they are topping up the blood bank on the QT...

Whilst trying to conclude some tests the consultant said whilst you are in the hospital, can we run the last of the blood tests we haven't tried yet.

I agreed to save another trip so he packed me off to see the vampire wanna bees.

The nurse taking my blood was reading the tests I needed of the list and putting the phials on the table next to me.

She got nine out in total.

I had already shut my eyes at this point but I squeezed one open and said to give her warning, "I really don't like giving blood and I will probably faint in this time it will take to fill all those"

She thought about it for a while and then said quite genuinely "Tell you what, I'll use the biggest needle I've got so it doesn't take long"

At that point I opened my other eye and enquired quite politely how in the name of all that's holy did she think her last statement was going to help?

She then stabbed me in the arm with what felt like a posidrive screwdriver...

Scott, I'm a huge fan of superglue for that sort of thing. Sliced my leg open with a Stanley knife some time back, quick squirt of superglue, change of trousers for a pair not covered in blood and back to work.

Funny you should mention that.

Cutting a piece off the new gearbox casing for the Honda, as you do, last night, with a Dremmel plus cut-of wheel, laft hand steadying the work, well away from the tool.

Somehow, the wheel bit, jammed and did the usual fly off the work piece thing, except that it didn't quite launch itself straight off, somehow it managed to do a complete revolution round the little aluminium lump I was cutting off, and ended up flying back 180 degrees from the direction I'd been working in, neatly over my finger, which had been "safely, behind the blade".

A quick mop up with a rag and a squirt of super glue and the finger was, er, fine. But at least i could carry on.

John, I think it says more about the age/state of half the WSCC members!

John, I think it says more about the age/state of half the WSCC members!

That makes sense... We are all such amazing examples of physical fitness and well being, we are being studied as to the possible genetic causes.

• Like 1

Scott, I'm a huge fan of superglue for that sort of thing.

+1 for superglue - my favourite "field dressing"

Wish I'd thought of that :bangshead:  - and it is genuinely what superglue was invented for as I'm sure you knew.