Blood test, KO faint, what a big girls blouse...

John K

Before I start, I'm not a total wimp...

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Chuck Norris but I can take a fair bit of discomfort, I have happily seen one of my own knuckles, I've managed to hammer a rusty nail blunt end first into my thigh, I have installed fibre glass insulation whislt mostly naked (that wasn't one of my best ideas...) and I am very happy to get injections...

So why is it when I have to give a sample of blood, I go really light headed, cold sweats and sometimes like today faint dead away... Which is a a bit of a faff as I do need fairly regular tests.

Woke up on the floor of the doctors in a confused state wondering where all the people had come from and why they were interrupting my nice dream.

It must be psychological as a few mills of blood loss can't have a physical effect, so is there anybody else who has heard of this sort of wimpish behaviour?

I have to look the other way and feel kinda scared while it's being done but I'm OK once it's finished.  As you say it's in the mind.

I had one this morning. I like to watch  :oops:  :rolleyes:

I had one this morning. I like to watch :oops::rolleyes:

LOL you have just been put in the "slightly odd" folder..!

Even hearing the pop as the nurse takes the lid off the phial sets me away.

Again, it's not needles, when I used to travel with work I had so many shots, once five in a session, two at a time, one in each arm...

Had one last Tuesday, still just about got the bruises to prove it! (A nurse - "under instruction" managed to stick the needle through the vein and out the other side, on the first go!)

I sometimes watch, it's a sort of morbid curiosity. Depends whether the nurse is stabbing about like a Hitchcock villain or not. (I've been told I have tricky veins to find, I'm always instructed to drink loads of water before a blood test, to make it a bit easier)

I don't mind the sight off blood, blood tests etc, used to fix up the kids when they were young and accident prone.

Talking about it though is a different matter, I've fainted a couple of times just talking about it, in fact I'm breathing heavy now.

I kind of got used to it when I crashed my microlight a few years back - had 9 full GA operations to save the leg and they ran out of veins to stick needles and cannulas in (I too have tricky veins) - so had plenty of nurses digging around and missing. Seems so much easier now!

OK, in WSCC Top Trumps "How I hurt myself today", you not only just took first place, you pretty much broke the score board. :d:oops:

ANY sentence that starts "when I crashed my microlight" sort of wins by default! :o

I don't know if I even dare ask what happened.

haha - yeah I guess it was a big one ;)

Well - and sorry for the hijack - basically I decided to give up microlights after doing all I wanted (flying to South of France and back for one) and on the day someone came to look at it it was mad hot (July 06) and the wind kept swapping direction. Anyway, as you may know engines, props and wings all love cold dense air and planes like to take off into wind, so as I took off the wind kind of swapped around and I didn't get a lot of lift (lack of power etc). To avoid the building that was now somehow way taller than it had ever been before (I was not high enough) I banked. That combined with the added weight or the unfortunate "buyer" meant it was all doomed to failure and stalled from maybe 50ft up. Ended up in a dry stone wall - it hurt. And, no, he didn't buy it!

Before:

microlight-before.jpg

after:

microlight-after.jpg

A not-so-gruesome shot of the damage - I'll spare you the others - but the passenger is top left of shot:

IMAGE_00050.jpg

Now you know what my avatar is ;)

Ouch.

:oops:

I booked a course of microlight lessons a few years ago.  Took two and then my instructor crashed and killed himself.

I never got a refund either.

haha - yeah I guess it was a big one ;)

Well - and sorry for the hijack

Jack away...

I'm with Dave, a "crashing a micro light" story needs to be heard. Much kudos to you..!

And by the way, you ARE Chuck Norris..!

You've got more bolts in you than are in my Westie.

I think there's over 20 screws holding it all together. Lost count after they took some out that were trying to escape.

Three surgeons stood around the bed a few days after it happened and one of them said he'd give it a go while the others wanted to lop it off. Obviously I went for the optimist, though I was so full of morphine at the time I wasn't overly bothered.

• Like 1

The (somewhat unkind ) thought occurs that one day someone may possibly weigh you in for scrap  :)

Always fancied a microlite but with my accident record , don't think it would be a wise thing to do  :(

I did once try to persuade the mother in law to try it out , even offered to pay for her lessons  :t-up: