Number Plate Dilema

CraigHew

I've got a full size plate, trimmed down so it's got a 5mm border around the characters, it's mounted below the nose on stainless steel hinges, the type used on shop display cabinets, anything over 20mph it disappears, slow down and it drops down.....perfect, if I ever get pulled I'll just tell the ocifer that it gets knocked off by non spec speed humps and this is my solution. also in 16 years of westy ownership I've probably had half of that with no plate and no bother.

• Like 1

That sounds like something out of a Bond movie...

Hang on a minute !!!

Shhhhhs

My dilemma has now been resolved.

She who must be obeyed concurs with Dave in that a stick-on will totally spoil the look of the nose cone.

So its the 3/4 size plate with legal size characters for me screwed against the base of the nose cone.  (A happy Wife is a Happy Life)...

My dilemma has now been resolved.

She who must be obeyed concurs with Dave in that a stick-on will totally spoil the look of the nose cone.

So its the 3/4 size plate with legal size characters for me screwed against the base of the nose cone.  (A happy Wife is a Happy Life)...

So its a loss to the stick ons, but as Dave said we are a broad church.

I just have to 'stick' with knowing I have good taste ;)

• Like 1

I have a full sized plate that attaches with velcro in the normal place - but apart from the MOT, it's never on (it's behind the seat) and would get produced if required !!

Fix it with normal plastic number plate bolts into some rivnuts in the nosecone, works a treat

• 4 weeks later...

My transfer documents finally arrived from DVLA (although they "lost" the original V5C/2 which required me to wait until the new log book arrived, then send it straight back to them). 

IMG_20140903_153816_zps9d95c20a.jpg

UPDATE

So, here's my new number plate bolted into place.  As you can see, its 3/4 size although the characters are legal height and font.

Its certainly not as ugly as the original plate, which was simply too wide to suit the front nose cone.  My wife (who knows about these things) said that the stick-on version would not look correct being so near the graphics already present and I must admit, I tended to agree.

I also ordered up a silly-size small plate (resting on the grill-wire for the photo) but to be honest if I were to go with that I'd be better off running plate-less on the front (at least the consequences would work out cheaper).

I'm not a huge personalised plate advocate but in my case it was worth the £250 just to have a more aesthetically acceptable result on the front.

I dont like the look of stick ons either, and they look even worse with a v8 style bonnet. 

75% for me. 

• Like 1

I have a full size number plate on the nose of Mr Toad. I treat them as a consumable item. The last three were smashed by respectively, a speed bump, a bunny and getting winched on to the back of a low loader. Not ideal, but legal. Having the big 7" chrome headlights keep the proportions of the front of the car looking right in my opinion, even with the huge number plate.

Jen

I was steering the wheels away from the bunny, but forgot about the number plate. It probably had a bit of a headache, but survived.

Happy with my stick on, its clearly what the cars had all its life, given the huge difference in colour behind it, and I have not plans to go to any effort to change it.

- No issues at MOT

- No issue when stopped by police

Otherwise I might be in the 'carry a broken plate' brigade.

Normally I would frown at people flaunting such rules, but in reality a full size legal plate just doesnt fit, the only other option would be a square plate on the front of to one side around the wishbone area 'import style' but I dont fancy getting one in the head if it did some loose or get hit.

Daniel

I have gone for a full size rear, but in white and stuck to the front. This is framed nicely in the cobra stripes, and looks right imho.

strangely, my original full size plate fell off one evening, but remains intact to be velcro'd back come mot time if necessary.

Would rather not have a shattered plate whizzing past my head when something hits it.. also, a sticky one must be more IVA friendly?

(Inner tube wrapped round camber adjuster to pass IVA, but a sharp edge of plastic is ok.......)

It could well have changed, but my MOT man once told me that other than the requirement to have the correct number showing, he as an MOT tester didn't have to make sure it was compliant with any rules. He said it could be hand written on a chunk of cardboard and would pass MOT.

Pretty sure that would get you a pull from Mr Plod though :)