Number Plate Dilema

CraigHew

I've never been a fan of the front mounted number plates on 7 type cars.

My Mega S2000 came with its huge air dam regulation size plate attached to the front

I've helped the matter a little by purchasing a personalised plate with one less character.

I've also had a 75% size plate made up however retained the required character size of 79 x 50mm 

I think I can just about stomach the smaller plate if I don't spend too much time looking at the front end.  I also purchased (but was extremely disappointed with the quality) a stick on plate, with the aim of sticking it across the front-most portion of the nose cone. This too was 75% size and regulation size characters (although the font used is not the correct one (and it shows)).

I've also had a motorcycle size plate made up which is so small its daft...!

From the research I've done there are lots of Westfields, and other kit cars for that matter, with the stick-on type which I Understand are, technically, illegal. However they're clearly passing MOTs etc.

Finally there the option of running without a front plate and carrying it in the boot just in case (sorry officer it fell off on a speed bump).

So, I think the small plate with the regulation size and font characters is the way I'm going to go.  It's legal and not too obtrusive 

Just wondered what other members thought...?

Personally I think the stick on type (as I have) makes the look of the car.

As for legality, I have an MoT certificate.

I will deal with any problems if and when they come up.

Sorry I can't offer any solid advice, but unless we have any members who wrote the law on this, how will you know if you ever have a definitive answer..?

Edit: Just seen the pic you posted. You have a beautiful looking car, IMHO it is screaming for a stick on..!

I have a motorcycle 12"x 3" with font reduced accordingly

It sits perfectly below the grill and has never been grounded,nor have i had my wrists slapped because of it

I think as long as its clearly readable and not ridiculous italic font etc you 'd be ok

i have 2 nose cones......

• Like 1

Put a smaller plate on and use the old one as a surf board ... It's huge !!!

Legal issues aside, it's personal taste at the end of the day.

No one can guarantee you anything. I know a number of Caterham owners that have been pulled for small plates, (not micro plates, just slightly smaller).

But in general, as long as your "plate" at least observes the spirit of the law, most do seem to manage OK.

I've has a slightly smaller plate on for years with no issues. (I hate stick on's on the nose cone, I think they spoil the look of the nose right in its most visible spot, the top! But lots love them like that)

Wondering... ???

If you don't want either a plate or a stick on, what about getting the reg tattooed onto your forehead.

With a motorbike size font it might just fit. If you want a full size font, do the passenger as well...

Personally I think the stick on type (as I have) makes the look of the car.

I hate stick on's on the nose cone, I think they spoil the look of the nose right in its most visible spot, the top!

Any body remember the Life of Brian scene..?

'Judean People's Front'. We're the People's Front of Judea! ' 

200 years from now, when the history of the club is being written it'll be...

"If we go back to the 8th August 2014, we can find the very post that caused the CWSC to split away from the WSCC over the issue of 'stick ons'.

The years that followed were ugly, very, very ugly...

It's the huge range of differences that make the Westfield such a great car.

The key thing is what you like, not what anyone else thinks!

it fascinates me and pleases me, how even with as big a collection of cars as you get at Stoneleigh, you'll still struggle to find two Westfields alike.

there is a much lesser penalty for no plate at all or a stick-on full size plate than for an illegally small plate, in fact, unless you're incredibly unlucky, no plod will actually do you for a stick-on one as long as it's full size  ;)  :t-up:

having knocked my original front plate off on a small furry animal I decided to go with a sick on. I went for full size and standard spacing, though I did trim the ends a little to remove some excess white space and have had no issues so far.

It seems that the only choices we have are to have something that is deemed in one way or another not quite legal and its just up to use to decide which way to go, as this is the case we just need to keep as close to what is considered fully compliant as possible.

It's the huge range of differences that make the Westfield such a great car.

The key thing is what you like, not what anyone else thinks!

it fascinates me and pleases me, how even with as big a collection of cars as you get at Stoneleigh, you'll still struggle to find two Westfields alike.

Couldn't agree more.

In fact, every time someone asks me what mine will look like when it is finished, I have to show them 3 or 4 pictures to get a composite of what I want! There's a few that almost look like 'mine' but nothing exactly the same so far.

This subject has come up a few times in the past.  We all know the law says we should have the correct size plate with the correct font and be vertically mounted.

Most of us have changed the plate to a slightly illegal variation of what it should be and had no problems. 

I myself have the 3/4 sized plate with the correct sized numbers and font.  Looking at the front of the car no one notices that it is too small as the plate in in proportion with the front end of the nose cone.  It will keep ANPR cameras happy as it easily readable, Mr Plod has never stopped me and the MOT man has never noticed it was smaller than it should be. 

The upshot is, if you drive your car sensibly on the road and don't draw attention to yourself, no authority is going to notice your plate is on the illegal side of what it should be.

• Like 1

Wondering... ???

If you don't want either a plate or a stick on, what about getting the reg tattooed onto your forehead.

With a motorbike size font it might just fit. If you want a full size font, do the passenger as well...

Impossible, already got "sex slave" tattooed there.....

• Like 2

Impossible, already got "sex slave" tattooed there.....

If that's what is takes to get a factory spec S2000 - I'll sign up..!

• Like 1