BIG TROUBLE

minesapint

The point of SORN is that they don't have to prove it was on the road .. you'd have to prove it wasn't..!

So pics of it in bits or the garage would help and witness statements of neighbours etc?

But evn though you are proving it was off the road, it still doesn't get round the fact that it wasn't SORN'd in the first place, which is the 'offence'. It's a bit like trying to defend a speeding offence because your speedo wasn't working...

However, until recently, a vehicle owner would get a yearly tax / SORN reminder. I'd find out why you haven't been getting these as well (unless of course, you have moved address or something, and could make matters worse!)

But evn though you are proving it was off the road, it still doesn't get round the fact that it wasn't SORN'd in the first place, which is the 'offence'.

Correct - unfortunately.  The DVLA will send you the renewal notice (with the SORN option on it) once - just once.  If you don't respond, they won't chase you for it, but it acts like the compound interest on some savings bonds - the longer you hold it, the greater it matures. :(

However, until recently, a vehicle owner would get a yearly tax / SORN reminder. I'd find out why you haven't been getting these as well (unless of course, you have moved address or something, and could make matters worse!)

You only get these annually if you have responded to the previous one.  Once you stop responding, they stop sending them, which is understandable as it's a costly business.

The club sends three emailed renewal notices, one at 30 days prior, one at point of expiry, and one more within the following month, so we're more persistent than the DVLA. :d

So do you only SORN the vehicle once not annually? So once its SORNed it remains so unless you retax it?

I had a camper that hadn't ever been SORNed by the previous owner. I contacted the DVLA once I had the V5 and SORNED it. They advised I could be fined but it was unlikely and I wasn't. They didn't even contact the previous owner either.

Can you transfer it to another name for a short time to do that and put it back n your name? Adds to the number of owners but could save a fine?

The point of SORN is that they don't have to prove it was on the road .. you'd have to prove it wasn't..!

Oh, ok :) If it's been restored over 14 years, I'm sure there will be invoices for "body panels, engine rebuild bits etc" that prove beyond reasonable doubt :)

You only get these annually if you have responded to the previous one. Once you stop responding, they stop sending them, which is understandable as it's a costly business.

Ahh, that bit makes sense...sadly...

So do you only SORN the vehicle once not annually? So once its SORNed it remains so unless you retax it?

I understand you do now - in 1999 until a year or so ago it had to be renewed every year...

Once you stop responding, they stop sending them, which is understandable as it's a costly business.

What part of sending out a sorn notice is " a costly business ?  

You can check out the details on the DVLA website to see when the date of liability is, if it is before 1st Jan 1998, you don't need a SORN at all.

I was lucky as I have an old Kawasaki that has a "date of liability" of Nov 1997, but only checked this last year!

What part of sending out a sorn notice is " a costly business ?

Multiply the cost of a few pence admin, postage, paper, ink, and envelope by millions of cars off road over a number of years, and it very soon becomes a very costly business...

Multiply the cost of a few pence admin, postage, paper, ink, and envelope by millions of cars off road over a number of years, and it very soon becomes a very costly business...

Yep, this.  Even at discounted postage rates (and Royal Mail is privately owned, remember, but that's another idiotic story), you're probably looking at £1 a pop in total costs.  Multiply that by the large number of vehicles not taxed and your tax money soon mounts up.

Since 1998, keepers of registered vehicles which had been licensed since 1998, but which were not currently using the public roads, have been required to submit an annual Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN). Failure to submit a SORN is punishable in the same manner as failure to pay duty and display a tax disc when using the vehicle on public roads.  Since the car in question was last taxed in 1999, I'm afraid there's no escape clause here. :(

It was announced in the 2013 Budget that SORN declarations would become perpetual, thus removing the need for annual renewal after the initial declaration has been made.

Just did a quick calculation - assuming that due to its age the car is probably less emissions friendly than newer models and is probably in about Band J, and throw in an £80 automatic fine on top of paying the VED from 2000-2014, it's just over £3,000 :(

Not a great situation, whichever way you look at it.