• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

the search engine on this site is rubbish

ALLADDIN

i have noticed it many times in the past but recent searches have really showed it up. Whilst searching on the site for a string of 3 or 4 terms will bring up little and often nothing at all, using the same terms in google will find much more - all on this site.

this does not help the site at all, after all why visit if external links are more useful than the site itself ?

I too have failed to find posts I know are here using the forum search, then found them in the forum using Google.

Mention at A.G.M

The search engine in here is what it is and can't be changed, I'm afraid - it's actually very effective indeed if you take the time and effort to learn how to use it correctly, but Google can be more forgiving of non-specific search parameters and is likely to be a bit quicker in some circumstances.

- it's actually very effective indeed if you take the tiyme and effort to learn how to use it correctly,

I disagree hence my post.

The search engine built into the Invision software is well known to be not that good, but Invision does also support integration with the 'Sphinx' search engine which I believe is much better, although we have yet to incorporate it within our Invision ipBoard based forum so can comment directly on its effectiveness or the easy on installing it.

As said, the other and or interim option is to use google to find topics on forums, you can go into the options and search for only within one site.

Daniel

I disagree hence my post.

Yes, I'd gathered that - sorry you don't find it satisfactory.  I guess I'm just used to the peculiarities and vagaries of it, as I've been able to find everything I've ever looked for pretty easily - although Google is undoubtedly quicker to dial in the parameters.

If you're ever stuck looking for something specific, let me know and I'll find it for you. :)

If you're ever stuck looking for something specific, let me know and I'll find it for you. :)

Handbrake levers/adjusters for the 8" drums on a ford english axle, part numbers and or where to buy them...
  • Like 1

Curiously another IP Board website I use has a google site search, where the 'This Topic' search bit is above.

Compared to the old WSCC forum the search engine on this one is excellent :t-up:

• Like 1

Compared to the old WSCC forum the search engine on this one is excellent :t-up:

Excellent point - I'd forgotten just how difficult the old one was.

Agreed. I've never personally had a major issue. The only thing that I find a tad annoying is a limit on the number of characters that can be entered, and can be quite restricting sometimes. 

Otherwise, all that is often needed is a bit of lateral thinking...:t-up:

Thinking back the reason google search was integrated into the other forum I use was being unqble to search for "ABS" LSD" "RPM" etc and the seemingly random results at times.

An alternative is to use google itself:

"site:http://forum.wscc.co.uk/ *insert search terms*"