Guess what... no longer a Westie wanted!

Quinten

Agree with you on that one! If i'd rebuilt it I'd take pictures to bore people with everywhere!!

If it was just cosmetic, then surely it would have been a cat D ?

Category C: repairable total loss – Cat C cars are allowed back on the road, as the damage is repairable, but the cost of the repair work is substantial enough that it's more than the value of the car. The car must be subject to a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC).

Category D: repairable significant damage – Cat D cars are also allowed back on the road, because the damage can be repaired. Unlike Cat C, however, the repairs won’t cost more than the value of the car, but it is significant enough for the car to be written off.

For me it is all too big a risk.

I would still have a looksee.

It's in my watch list...  not that I honestly think I could complete such a project... :(

I would still have a looksee.

We did discuss it, but ultimately his rock bottom asking price of £5,500 is imho too dear for the unknown...  let's not forget I had to sink £2,000 into my first Westfield in the first month :(

Once Bitten......... Eh Quinten, I don't blame you but I have a feeling that could be a bargain. Just needs a keen Westfield diy'er to have a look. not near enough for  me, or I would go and see it.

• Like 1

There's also the added complication/expense of insuring a category car...

Next!

And the next one has popped along on ebay. Have spoken to the seller who has very little info on the car before his ownership and whilst in his ownership only very little drove it (children, they are nothing but trouble!). Standard 1600 Xflow with 40s and westfield front uprights and alloys (although spare comes from Focus). He thinks it still has standard sump (not shortened) and is going to check clearance for me.

Although it is (again!) at the other end of the country, I'm thinking this one is a bit of a gem? Or am I going to regret the low power (I assume low power) of the Xflow? Anyone care to comment on this, or Xflows in general?

x-flows are very good engines if set up right and looked after - very well suited to 7 style cars…. and they are very mighty and often quicker than many modern engined cars 

• Like 1

Phoned seller of this Westfield, but it turns out it is a Cat C car... The search continues :(

Pretty certain this car was for sale in Wigan back in Nov as I was toying with idea of buying it before I found mine, it was pretty scruffy back then so now looks like it was painted between then and now?

Pretty certain this car was for sale in Wigan back in Nov as I was toying with idea of buying it before I found mine, it was pretty scruffy back then so now looks like it was painted between then and now?

Cheers Mark.  it may well have been a cosmetic tart up by the current seller...

Hi Q, don't be put off by the comparatively "low power" of the crossflow engined Westies, mine was only making 113bhp and it was still an absolute blast to drive, and quicker than a lot of more modern machinery on track too.  The engine perfectly suits the original design concept of these cars and allows you to fully explore the capabilities of both you and it on road and track.  A few people live by the "buy the most power you can afford" philosophy and often quote 200bhp plus as being necessary, which I just don't get because that kind of power can't be used on our roads safely, whereas a lower powered car can be driven closer to the limit, more of the time.  They are also very easy to work on (a testament to which is my current learning curve of building one!) and comparatively 'cheap' to get more power out of, should that be your bag!

I'd offer you a trip out in mine, but it's currently out of action.  A new crossflow is soon to be dropped in though!

I'll go into it with my mind open. The zetec westie I had, had about 130bhp and was perfectly adequate. Not sure if I can relate to the 'easy to work on' thing though, but it's reassuring to know I can give you a buzz  :blush:

• Like 1

Easy to work on makes a Westy more fun and less money Quinten!! For example I now work on my twin webers thanks to my local AO spending an hour showing me.

90% of the rest of a Westy is straightforward DIYable and as a 2nd car unlike before if you have a problem with a repair or upgrade it'll have no time limit and good folk on here will advise or poss even pop round if local.

Plus you must secretly want to get a bit mucky and involved mechanically else you wouldn't buy a Westfield!!

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.