ToT house sale problem

pistonbroke

My sister's a teacher in North London. Her school isn't even called a school it's a ____ Special Education Unit. Needless to say, listen to the average moron spouting off and she's just a slacker with three months of annual holidays trying to teach the dregs of society.

Where as we all know her as a supremely commited professional with forty years experiance under her belt that sees such hope in her kids that she won't abandon them even though she should have retired.

This is a civil servant so committed that she once spent five or six years studying the entire off term times and evenings till all hours at the Open University to gain a child psychology degree to better understand and work with her (difficult) young charges. This is the same council employee who not too long ago did it all again; giving up all her vacation times to do an art course. Again, to find a new way to reach the unreachable and teach those that we so glibly right off in society.

She isn't alone.

Far, far from it. Yet somehow we seem to go for the same easy, lazy stereotypes every time. There are poor employees in every organisation. But we don't seem to feel the need to tar their every single colleague with the same ignorant brush.

Oh, and vaguely back on topic; my experience of building control up round here, on a commercial basis, bumping into them regularly through work, is very positive.

Cheers Scott, but the damage has already been done. I'm damned if I'm going to give up my evenings offering help and assistance if all I get is insulted for my troubles.

Mark, I have not met you, but I have met a number of NHS 'managers' and also one particular planning department officer who couldn't understand his own LA local plan's directives, so I do have a personal angle to this. Clearly, not having met you I could not possibly comment on your competence and you'll notice that I did say 'those that I have met'. Nevertheless I apologise if my perhaps too flippant remark has caused offence - none was intended.

Cheers Scott, but the damage has already been done. I'm damned if I'm going to give up my evenings offering help and assistance if all I get is insulted for my troubles.

Sorry if you took my comments personally Mark they were not aimed at yourself and I wouldn't want you to think I am being ungrateful for your kind help because I find your and others advice most welcome 

My Wife received a very nice telephone call today from the Council apologising for the delay and stating that the certificate was "in the post" and also they could email an electronic version to us , which they did .

We have downloaded this , only to find they have sent a " COMPLETION CERTIFICATE " containing

2      Details of Works 

3      Location of building to which work relates 

4      Deposit od particulars 

5      Completion date 

6 Compliance with the Building regulations which basically states the building regulations are complied with 

Nowhere does it mention the word Fensa or Fensa certificate in spite of the fact my wife spoke to both the people in the council office and in person to the Surveyor who called to the house . in both instances she asked specifically for a Fensa certification. So looks like we go back to square one with an issue that has taken dozens of phone calls and emails emails made over several weeks for something that should and could have been  resolved quickly and easily .

Perhaps you can understand our frustration with this service if I say that the couple who have a deposit on the house have been patiently waiting to complete contracts for obvious reasons , but now they too are becoming frustrated and annoyed , as  they are begining to think that we are the ones not doing enough to resolve the issue !

Bernie, the certificate wont mention FENSA, as FENSA are an independant company.

builders/installers have the option of either registering with FENSA and certifying their installations through their Certification scheme, however If they are not FENSA registered then the only alternative is to submitt a Building Regulations application whereby the Council or an Approved Inspector will oversee the works and issue a Completion Certificate as you now have now been issued with.

Fear not, you have the correct paperwork you need. :)

Just to add, there are other schemes. As well as FENSA for replacement windows, although lesser known, these being

BM Trada Certification Ltd

BSI

CERTASS Limited

Network VEKA limited

Dave 

My Wife was a very commited and dedicated schoolteacher for the whole of her working life , so think I know where your coming from with that one 

I can only say that up to date no one in any government department we have dealt with over this matter has convinced me that they know what they are talking about ,

I firmly believe the " surveyor " who called to us had never even heard of Fensa before my wife told him overthe phone what we required , when he arrived here he gave the impression he was uncertain what was required and why , my wife had to explain again that we needed a " Fensa certificate " she couldn't have made it more clear .

Perhaps you can understand our frustration with this service if I say that the couple who have a deposit on the house have been patiently waiting to complete contracts for obvious reasons , but now they too are becoming frustrated and annoyed , as they are begining to think that we are the ones not doing enough to resolve the issue !

Looking at this from the other side though it's not the Councils fault that your installer wasn't FENSA registered. By overlooking a procedural requirement of the Building Regulations and by failing to submit an application for the works he was doing, it was the installer that created this situation you have unfortunately found yourself in.

It reads to me that the council have responded quickly by sending a surveyor out for you only a few days after you submitted a retrospective application and have then as soon as practicably possible sent you the correct certificate which you require ???

Just to add, there are other schemes. As well as FENSA for replacement windows, although lesser known, these being

BM Trada Certification Ltd

BSI

CERTASS Limited

Network VEKA limited

Mark just read this after typing my reply above .

Going back to the OP the letter we received from our solicitor stated that the certificate we needed to make the house sale possible ( and Legal ) was a Fensa certificate , they sent us a sample one , they stated it should have the word FENSA in bold print , 

We have patiently followed the trail of events and so far it seems to us we have gotten nowhere , 

we intend contacting our solicitor tomorrow AND the building dept for more information and hopefully find what is what !

Mark 

Fortunately my Wife is blessed with more patience than I am , the matter will be resolved sooner or later i am sure , thanks for your input it is as always very welcome  :t-up:

Mark just read this after typing my reply above .

Going back to the OP the letter we received from our solicitor stated that the certificate we needed to make the house sale possible ( and Legal ) was a Fensa certificate , they sent us a sample one , they stated it should have the word FENSA in bold print ,

We have patiently followed the trail of events and so far it seems to us we have gotten nowhere ,

we intend contacting our solicitor tomorrow AND the building dept for more information and hopefully find what is what !

FENSA is very much a generic term used to describe window installations and unfortunately Solicitors aren't always as clued up as they could be on this. I receive numerous calls from them daily asking for copies of FENSA and electrical certificates and each time I have to explain to them that these certificates aren't issued by us and they need to contact them directly.

I've linked my work phone number previously but again, if you do have an questions or are unsure of anything then please call me and I'd be happy to help. it's what I'm there for and am paid to do :)

http://www.colchester.gov.uk/article/2524/Building-Control-Surveyors-Areas