Potholes, car damage and making a claim

TIG Brother

Apparently around here the council tries to fob people off with "we'll pay if you reported it before hitting it".

Literally they're saying that won't pay unless you'd already notified them.

I'm sure if you hit it after notifying them, they'd say "you knew it was there, you should have avoided it".

Question........ Why is it that roads in Wales are either perfect or being completely resurfaced?

Around here it seems like half baked attempts to "patch up" roads, done by dodgy firms that only got the contract because they handed local councillors big fat brown envelopes.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TIG Brother

• dombanks

• ACW

• Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO

I haven't looked to see if I posted this already so this may be me repeated. Burrrp

I've had many run ins with LA's over various claims. The "best" was damage cause because they failed to maintain a stand by gennie and our underground workshop was flooded to the ceiling.

They claimed it was "act of god". I argued for a few months then got fed up and issued a summons. Payment with court fees came back by return (2 days). I followed the practice thereafter and it never failed.

I hate to be the one to ask..... but have you got legal cover on your insurance..... they tend to wriggle a lot less when there's the threat of legal fees ramping up the claim.

They will always deny liability in the hope that you just go away, and if the threat is that you have to notify your insurance then so be it.... but I'm sure that your insurance will say that's not covered because it's not a normal road risk..... 

Good luck and put the boot in!

Nem...........

It's easy to raise a county court claim and now you can do it online. In my day it was forms and particulars of claim to be filed.