Newbie about to purchase- pics included

Markie6575

I think all of the changes can be made to get the car through IVA.  Obviously there is cost and effort same as with a new build.  In this case it will be slightly more because some of the kit was compatible for SVA but not IVA so will need changing.

Hopefully your price for this reflects this.

The bigger issue will be applying for and getting an IVA test slot from VOSA and then registering the car.

For VOSA they will want proof that it is an amateur built car and normally photos are needed for this showing the various stages of build.

To register it will depend if you want an age related or a Q plate as to what invoices are required etc

Personally given the cost of IVA and a retest and the hassles with registering bike engine cars (engine / gearbox being considered as 2 reconditioned components etc) I would seriously consider getting a quote from the factory.

Either way enjoy and good luck

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Norman Verona

• Markie6575

• Rednop1

• XTR2Turbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Without build photos an amateur builder could test the car as Class C (VEHICLE BUILT BY A PERSON IN THE BUSINESS OF BUILDING VEHICLES USING PARTS OF A VEHICLE REGISTERED IN THE UK) rather than the usual method of testing for us which is class A (AMATEUR BUILT). To do this though the engine and at least one other parts would need to have been sourced from the same donor vehicle (with evidence to prove this V5 from the donor bike etc)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/205614/guidance-notes-iva-1c.pdf

I'm happy with the price I'm getting it for, taking a risk in the registering, but life would be boring without risks.

I will re-negotiate the deal if no factory invoice is present.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

Well done! I can only echo Scott's comments, please don't think everyone had a "down" on the project. We just tend to be a protective lot as far as other members go, and look out for each other - especially during that fraught project buying stage!

The key thing is to know what you're getting into, then you can make an informed decision what to do. Personally, it looks like it's got the bones of a great car in there, so I think it would be fantastic to see it brought up to spec and IVA'd etc - always seems such a waste to see cars passed from pillar to post, never quite making it.

And the other thing is, it gives you plenty of ammo to go back to the seller with and perhaps sweeten the deal that bit more. 

Would love ove to see how the project develops.

Plus, as someone mentioned, if you have to strip it back far enough, you can take your own build photos of it at what looks like fairly "early" stages...

Well I did the deal.

I am now a proud owner of a "Westfield garage ornament "I will be picking it up on Sat morning

Have a letter from Mark Walker at westfield to confirm the kit was purchased new in 2004 as a complete megabusa kit (less engine gearbox,wheels and tyres)

Do we think this letter will cover as proof of purchase?

I would try to get a receipt from who you are buying it from if you can't get the original.  Perhaps it will be OK if it says something like "2004 Westfield Megabusa sold as Kit"

I am in the process of getting my car that I bought as an unfinished project to IVA standard. It's getting stripped back pretty far as it is, so I won't have problems with photos, however my initial worry was receipts for engine and chassis/kit (I have receipts for almost everything else). I spoke to westfield about it to see what I could do and they said as long as you have a receipt for the car from the person that I bought it off (which I have) then that should be fine. So I think you'll be fine if you make sure you get this from the person you're buying it from. Good luck, of course it's worth the risk, would be boring otherwise!

Maybe it will be worthwhile if the invoice from the seller quotes the engine and gearbox numbers. As well as the chassis number of course.

I bought a 1986 abandoned project and got it through the iva so I should imagine a 2004 model shouldn't be too much of a problem. I did strip it down and take photos of the build.

I would recommend this as you don't know what the previous builder has done. In my case a whole series of mistakes.

I was lucky that the previous keepers kept the original westfield receipts but there were receipts missing for engine gearbox and axels. I got a receipt from the chap I bought the project from and then kept every receipt for new stuff that I bought.

Mark

The iva manual is your bible and ypu have to ensure every section is covered. Take it steady check edges, mounts, pipes and wiring are secure and then test each part on the manual. I took the knee test as my fist ie if you cam touch it with your fist it needs rounding. Its worth noting that even with this checking it failed first time (I expected it to tbh) so I went armed with pad and paper and noted everything down. The iva chap I had was really helpful

I hope that has given you some hope and support. Don't be afraid of asking questions and I hope you enjoy the project.

Paul