Tax discs to be scrapped (fee remains)

Wile E. Coyote

Nick, registration of vehicles would stay the same. There is no real link between V5c and VED. The V5c should be altered to have a "Owners name and address" and "registered keepers name and address" The insurance database should also be changed to accommodate the two entities. The fee for registration would need to be set but a fee of £150 should cover the costs. The system could be on the net by issuing a password with the V5c. 

The incentive is that if it's registered in your name but has been sold you'll be liable for the fines issues against the vehicle. 

On a similar subject, you shouldn't be allowed to not renew insurance without taking out another policy. The cost of this can fall on the insurers (or brokers) as it gives them an incentive to keep customers. You should be allowed to cancel a policy if you sell the car and the new owner is registered on the database.

Oh, bl**** typical... when will my luck return? I've just spend £4.50 on a new tax disc holder for the Westie :(

;)

So let me get this straight here - their costs will go down significantly, but the savings won't be passed on and we'll still pay the same price?  ???  Wow, thanks! :yes:

The same reason I stopped using an electronic tag for the M6 Toll - unmanned booth so saving on salary and physical money gathering costs, you have to deposit £30 in their accounts as a float, no reduction in toll price AND you have to pay a regular fee for the tag?  I think not, pal - here's all my 5p and 10p coins...IF I ever use your poxy road again.  And then they wonder why there's not enough traffic and they have to keep putting up the tolls...

Nick, registration of vehicles would stay the same. There is no real link between V5c and VED. The V5c should be altered to have a "Owners name and address" and "registered keepers name and address" The insurance database should also be changed to accommodate the two entities. The fee for registration would need to be set but a fee of £150 should cover the costs. The system could be on the net by issuing a password with the V5c. 

The incentive is that if it's registered in your name but has been sold you'll be liable for the fines issues against the vehicle. 

On a similar subject, you shouldn't be allowed to not renew insurance without taking out another policy. The cost of this can fall on the insurers (or brokers) as it gives them an incentive to keep customers. You should be allowed to cancel a policy if you sell the car and the new owner is registered on the database.

OK, that sounds workable, think 150 would be better at 50 mind. As doubt it costs them that to administor it.

Like your idea on Insurance, but somehow doubt it will be "policed" amongst certain minorities who are most often those without insurance !!!

So add a couple of pence to fuel and abolish the tax disc, OK what do you do when you find your fuel tank has been emptied, thats circa £100 for most big cars, if the tax disc is nicked, £5.00 gets you a new one

just off to work out how much my tax disk holder weighs - I would imagine my power to weight ratio is going to rocket

just off to work out how much my tax disk holder weighs - I would imagine my power to weight ratio is going to rocket

It would on mine...if the tax disc holder was the size of a dustbin lid and made from depleted uranium.  Far better in my case if the anchor in the driver's seat was ditched.

:laugh:

what do you do when you find your fuel tank has been emptied

Find the idiot who did it and smack them round the chops with a spade, simples.

Nick, it'll only work once your in the insurance system. If the police would issue more summonses for non insured cars (not on database) we may get more cars insured. Why should they have to stop a car which shows up as being uninsured.

Cast iron, your fuel won't be worth that much more than it is now.

My suggestion isn't designed to reduce the tax take, just keep it the same but bring all the benefits listed.

Why?  Surely if someone wishes to keep a SORNed vehicle uninsured then that's entirely their business.

As for putting it on fuel: I doubt that'll happen due to the comparisons people always make about the cost of fuel vs other countries and the fact that it would quickly be forgotten that a chunk of any the rise was due to VED being abolished.  I agree it would make sense though.

So... I'm just going to trail Autotrader until I find a blue Vauxhall Vectra advertised, then clone his number plates and drive around like that. No one will find out I'd be driving around uninsured and untaxed...

The only sensible way is to tax road use through fuel duty... but sensible is never on the agenda of politicians :(

You should be allowed to cancel a policy if you sell the car and the new owner is registered on the database.

or you SORN the vehicle.

There are far too many uninsured vehicles on the road and guess who pays for the accidents they cause.

As for price comparisons fuel is cheaper in France. And diesel is cheaper than petrol.  Of course one way to let the public understand vehicle fuel pricing is to show the prices on the pump:

per litre: Duty £0.98

VAT £0.30

Ved £0.04

Fuel £0.35

(or whatever)

Can we all agree that the taxes and duties are OUR money, raised by people we vote to administer our money handed over to them to run the country. 

Another idea to cut the costs is to go to a negative tax system. Set minimum wage to a genuine figure, say £180 per week. Then pay everyone who has a NI number £150 per week and deduct the first £150 from those who get wages. That's it, no other benefits at all other than disability and child benefits. £150 a week not enough? Go out of bed and go out and get a job.

Cost is a fraction it is now administering umpteen benefits.

Fraud is reduced (not 100% as the black labour market will grow)

Huge savings on civil servants

I'd like to see a credit card type device that has to be inserted into a fuel pump to fill up. It would confirm VED and insurance were paid, guarantee the fuel was paid for and would be linked via PNC to licence status as well. The only remaining data to gather would have to be biometric to ensure the car owner was filling the car not a car thief. 'Ve haf vays of making you pay!'  :oops:

So... I'm just going to trail Autotrader until I find a blue Vauxhall Vectra advertised, then clone his number plates and drive around like that. No one will find out I'd be driving around uninsured and untaxed...

You can do that now. Many do.