Day one...

Quinten

Bad luck :(  but............I had my first 2.0 ltr Zetec car 9 years without a problem, I fitted a 1.8 sump and the suspension was set at the height reccomended in the build manual, I think a lot of people set the ride height too low, cos' it looks better ???

My latest car has a raceline sump and waterrail, just cos' when I built this one I could afford them and they look nice :d  and i couldn't afford them when I built the first car :(

Blimey that is bad luck Quinten feel for you in such a short time of owning your car. Had no idea this could happen(relatively new ) so will be having a look over mine and check ride heights etc I'd be gutted if that happened. The picture of the road does not look as if the surface is "rough" pot holed etc 

Bad luck, happened to me twice....

Now have scholar sump and raceline water rail

For me mine was catching on the bell housing not the sump.

Cheers

Panda

It's a problem we all think about on every journey and I am always checking the stat housing, someone has to ask the question were is your drivers seat???? or did you remove it to sit somewhere safer during your 3.5 hour wait???

• Like 1

Thanks again guys.  Feel much better having 'slept it off'.  SWMBO has been very sympathetic (must be because we are getting near Christmas and she's desperate to put the tree up) and I think we've both agreed that maybe I should keep the driving limited to the 'nice' days instead of insisting to take it out in all weathers...

Seats may now have to wait a bit longer with the unexpected expenditure, but I think I do need to get the steering wheel closer to me, as I am very much having to sit hunched forward to reach it.   I quite like the removable steering wheel option, but would like to know if these bring the steering wheel forward naturally, or that I would have to look at an additional 'spacer' of some sort?

Quinten

Come and have a look at mine, have a sit in, and suss it all out

I would say give yourself time to get used to the car and discover any foibles in reasonable conditions and without the pressure of being late for work,  before deciding exactly how you use the car in the future.

As far as the QR wheel goes, go and have a look at Gary's, see how you find it. That will help with your choices.

Essentially though, there are two types of QR adaptor. The most common, and the ones the factory supply, are the weld on types. With these, a boss with the QR splines etc on, is welded on to the existing column. You can ask whoever does the job to leave the column as long as possible, or shorten it to whatever length required.

The other type, is the bolt on QR adaptor, these seem to have only really appeared in the last few years. These will definitely move the wheel closer to you as the QR adaptor bolts on the end of the existing column, and in turn may need adaptors for the wheel you wish to use.

If that's not enough, then your into spacers to bring the wheel even closer.

I've currently got the splined type QR system. Which is great, but I'm very tempted to look at one of these new generation bll bearing types, like Playskool sell, when I build the new car; fitting the wheel back on is so much easier when you don't have to align the splines!

Unfortunately its a common problem - raceline water rail seems to be the solution

Q

I have managed 389 miles in my westy this weekend  - keep at it mate but agree, daily drive is a tall order this time of year.

Just testing my new keyboard. This is the biggest thread drift ever. Should keep dave happy :)

I'm sure the car enjoys the company of all the other exotics at NMS... ;)  And with the weather as nice as today I was missing it!

Gary, will meet up still, but may now not be next week as I am unsure as to when I can collect my car again from NMS.  Will drop you PM as per original plan ;)

Just testing my new keyboard. This is the biggest thread drift ever. Should keep dave happy :)

It's in stuff and nonsense, ergo, couldn't care less, (in the nicest possible way!  :laugh:  :p )