O/t Damp cupboards

scott_prelit now westfield_bumble

Scott, no apology required! It isn't clear from the ad exactly what the MVHR system does. In fact I only came across it years ago when Wickes used to sell a system for DiY installation. My house at the time was not really suitable for it as a 1938 built two storey house with few ways of getting 4" diameter ducts up from the ground floor to the loft. Wickes dropped the product and I forgot it. Only when I moved to my present house did it pop back into my head as a worthwhile purchase. Frankly, it's only inertia (laziness) that has stopped me from doing it but I am blaming the 12" of insulation in the loft for giving me access difficulties. My place is essentially a bungalow but does have two levels - the lower being garage and basement buried at one end into a hillside.

Mark, I could tell that your remarks were aimed at the PIV system but it occurred to me that if you're going to the trouble of putting a box of fans in the loft, you might as well do it properly and fit MHVR; the labour isn't going to be much more, nor is the capital outlay, but if the systems do what they claim it simply must be worthwhile.

As a related aside Mark, I am a member of the management company that looks after my son's flat in south London and there is an ongoing saga of moisture and mould running there too. Said son's flat is on the top floor of a 1930s brick built block with a flat concrete roof covered with asphalt. There's occasional leaks through the structure but these are dealt with by overhauling the roof every so often (last time in the 1990s), and coating with Cromapol on a regular basis. However, as you will realise, a concrete roof is a concrete ceiling in the top floor flats and this is the cause of many complaints from occupants because in winter condensation forms copiously, leading to black mould. I have dealt with this by bonding Kingspan/Celotex aluminium covered PU foam boards to the ceiling, taping up all the joints and junctions with the drop ceilings with vapour proof tape, and putting a false ceiling a few inches below it for a decorative finish. This has quite effectively dealt with the problem in his flat, but neighbours are still struggling with the problem and as many flats are rented out, the owners are none too interested in sorting it.

Image0172_zps18d79694.jpg

212009_0430003_zps9b82b265.jpg

I think I will really struggle to fit the MVHR. The house was origanally a 2 bed with slopping roof down to the ground floor. This has now been extended with a bathroom in the back and an extra bedroom which now have a flat roof. I imagine it would be far to messy a job to fit the ducting to these rooms especially getting to the furthest points from the doors. So I think a piv with heater and external feed would be the one I would need. I have someone coming out next Wednesday to discuss the best way forward.

As a related aside Mark, I am a member of the management company that looks after my son's flat in south London and there is an ongoing saga of moisture and mould running there too. Said son's flat is on the top floor of a 1930s brick built block with a flat concrete roof covered with asphalt. There's occasional leaks through the structure but these are dealt with by overhauling the roof every so often (last time in the 1990s), and coating with Cromapol on a regular basis. However, as you will realise, a concrete roof is a concrete ceiling in the top floor flats and this is the cause of many complaints from occupants because in winter condensation forms copiously, leading to black mould. I have dealt with this by bonding Kingspan/Celotex aluminium covered PU foam boards to the ceiling, taping up all the joints and junctions with the drop ceilings with vapour proof tape, and putting a false ceiling a few inches below it for a decorative finish. This has quite effectively dealt with the problem in his flat, but neighbours are still struggling with the problem and as many flats are rented out, the owners are none too interested in sorting it.

I remember that problem well, and doing the condensation risk assesment for you at the time :)

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/66308-consisting-of-a-polyurethanot-thermal-insulation/?p=661250

I'm glad to hear that the work you did has fixed the problem :yes:

Gott in Himmel! As they used to say in my schoolboy comics! You memory is phenomenal Mark. Well it has fixed the problem and in no small part thanks to your input. And, for the record, the Clipso ceiling looks a treat still, and I know I can replace the membrane easily at re-decoration time if necessary. Many thanks once more or the help in the past. :t-up:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Busy couple of weeks. The cupboard heaters have came and the air smells better and the wardrobes feel warmer. But we went for a little rearrange of the living room tonight to put the christmas tree up and came across a lovely patch of mould

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/scott_prelit/mould/IMG_1349_zpsdba9a7e5.jpg

which was sat behind the toy corner as below

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/scott_prelit/mould/IMG_1332_zpsbc57f386.jpg

then a little more looking i spotted mould behind the speaker  which had plenty room around it to breath and also behind the speaker the other side of the chimney breast too

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/scott_prelit/mould/IMG_1353_zps6562f97e.jpg

I'n not sure wether this is condensation or the damp course which was done in 2008. I'll ring them in morning to come out and check as its got a gaurantee. 

I've had the guy out from envirovent about the piv system. it came in at £900 and then he recomended one of his moisture tracking extractor fans at a further £300 fitted. had a dig about and i can pick one of these fans up from about £50-£100 on ebay and it will just be a swap over. I'm gonna email the photos over to him to see if he agrees it will stop this

That looks like Black Spot Mould which would me commonly be a condensation problem rather than the DPC.

The white furry stuff is salts forming as the damp plaster is hygroscopic and attracts moisture

From the pics those areas look like rising damp.

The black spotted area is condensation mould caused by warm moist air condensing on a cool surface (with minimal airflow)

i had the dampcourse guy out and he checked and all appeared well. he also did a humidity check while he was here and it was a tropical 75%. Dew point was measured at 4.5deg C. I hadn't had the windows opened for a few days to ventilate. So i've ordered an envirovent humidistat extractor capable of extracting 6 times more air than the current one for the kitchen. I dont think theres enough space to change the one in the bathroom for this one so will wait and see if it will fit before ordering another one for there. Thats short term plans sorted till next year and will get a piv system sorted for next winter

Thanks for advice

Scott

• 1 month later...

Well i purchased a piv system(envirovent mr lofty with pre heater) off ebay before christmas for a 3rd of the quoted install price. I fitted it yesterday so its now a wait and see what happens. I also bought an envirovent hurricane extractor fan for the bathroom. Its made a hell of a difference instantly. Would recomend the extraxtor for any bathroom